Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Interview with Author Angela Bell!!!

Hi guys! V. Joy Palmer here! Since we are all friends here, you guys can call me Joy. ; ) And since we are all friends, one of my favorite things to do is talk with my friends, family, the teens I mentor, and everyone else at coffee shops/bookstores. Books and yummy drinks are the perfect combination, after all. So, consider this our virtual coffee shop. I’ll wait a second for you to get your warm drink and a fuzzy blanket before we chat with today’s guest. ; )

Today, I am very excited for you guys to meet author Angela Bell! I met Angela at the American Christian Fiction Writer's 2016 conference! She's super nice and has the cutest hats and shoes! Serious shoe envy here, my friends.

 
Novelist Angela Bell is a 21st century lady with 19th century sensibilities. Her activities consist of reading voraciously, drinking copious amounts of tea, and writing letters with a fountain pen. She currently resides in the southern most region of Texas with pup Mr. Darcy and kitties Lizzie Bennett and Lord Sterling. One might describe Angela’s fictional scribblings as Historical Romance or as Victorian History and Steampunk Whimsy in a Romantic Blend. Whenever you need a respite from the 21st century hustle, please visit her cyber-space parlor www.AuthorAngelaBell.com.You can also connect with her on Facebook and Pinterest.
 
INTERVIEW ~

So, would you order coffee, tea, or hot chocolate in our virtual coffee shop? Something else altogether? This is possibly the most important question…

 

Definitely tea! I like to think of myself as a tea connoisseur—not because I’ve had any special education on the subject—but because it sounds fancy and official and marvelously superfluous. J
When I’m out and about, I love to splurge on a London Fog (AKA—Earl Grey tea crowned with foamy goodness!) and vanilla bean scones from Starbucks. Most of the time, however, I prepare loose leaf tea at home. My favorite blend of the hour is Scottish Afternoon, which I gush about at length in my latest blog post, 4 Scrumptious Teas Worth Savoring.
 
I've grown quite fond of tea, and that vanilla bean scone sounds AMAZING! Where is your favorite place to write? And why is that your favorite place to write?
 
I write at a small, corner desk tucked away in my bedroom because … it’s quiet. *tres dull*
I sometimes wish I were one of those authors who can write amongst the beauties of nature, or in a trendy coffee shop brimming with creative vibes, but my brain is too easily distracted. Put me outside, and I’ll end up imagining that the clouds are shaped like dancing ducklings. Put me in a coffee shop, and I’ll end up developing back-stories for the various customers. Alas, to get any words on the page, I require total silence.
 
I understand that! Sometimes quiet is best. Do you have an odd habit that is only explained by your bookish, writer tendencies?
 
I may have already covered this with my remarks about dancing ducklings and coffee shop characterization … but since I’m abundantly blessed in the oddities department, I suppose we can discuss another of my quirks. J
 
Let’s see . . . I like to narrate stuff. I often spout dialogue and internal monologue for inanimate objects, passing strangers, and of course, my cat. Because as one with bookish, writer tendencies I’m obligated to own a cat. And said cat is obligated to have a ridiculously long name. And since I write Victorian Historicals, said cat must also have a proper title of nobility. Thus, I narrate many riveting soliloquies for Lord Sinatra Sterling, the Earl of Grey.   
 
*ahem* We’d best move along before this author interview spirals into a crazy cat lady confessional.
 
From one crazy cat lady to another, your cat has a better name!  What inspired you to write The Best Man in Brookside?
 
Honestly? There wasn’t any big moment, event, or object that inspired this story. I was just brainstorming/day dreaming/praying while going about my everyday routine, and then I got an idea that stuck—a romance where The Count of Monte Cristo meets Jane Austen’s Emma. The characters started to take shape from there, and once I got the notion of including a steam-powered carrousel, the plot soon unfolded to the delight of my Steampunk loving heart.
 
 
 
 
Donovan Gallagher’s quest for gold is to vindicate his past and provide for his sister’s future. He returns to England and buys a large manor house next to Sophia Heyer’s grand home where he used to serve as valet. Thrown together on the village’s fair committee, can Donovan and Sophia form a peaceful truce? ~ The Best Man in Brookside by Angela Bell, part of The California Gold Rush Romance Collection.
 
One second, Angela. I need to address the crowd quite enthusiastically. Guys, get. this. book. Okay, back to you, Angela. 😉 What led you to write in this genre?
 
A long journey of trial and error. Since I started learning the craft of fiction I have written: YA Contemporary, YA Science Fiction, NA Steampunk, all before finally finding my niche of Victorian History and Steampunk Whimsy in a Romantic Blend.
 
I am fascinated by the Victorian Era—the fashion, the innovations, the nobility—and I love using the historical technologies as a basis for infusing a dash of whimsical imagination into my stories.  
 
I bounced from genre to genre, too. But I think your niche is utterly perfect! Seriously, guys. *looks at readers again* Angela’s Facebook page is a dream for my Victorian loving heart! Okay, that was the last time. Maybe. So Angela, what message do you hope to convey to your readers?
 
My prayer is to create stories that impart joy and hope. While my characters may experience harsh realities and brokenness, I never want The End to leave the reader feeling weighted down. Instead, my greatest desire is to use storytelling as a key that unlocks chains. I write to convey to readers—and myself—that we are never alone. Even when circumstances seem bleak and obstacles insurmountable, we have a loving Father who draws near to the broken-hearted and provides the joy and hope our hearts desperately need.
 
 

 
I love everything you just said, and I’m sending you virtual hugs right now. Can you tell us a little about your next project?
 
On November 1st, my third novella will release in a collection from Barbour Publishing. I am quite giddy about this collection because all seven novellas are set in England, and the line-up of other authors is rather incredible! (I still can’t believe my name is listed among them!) AND the manor gracing our beautiful cover is none other than the BBC, white-shirt-in-the-lake, REAL Pemberley!!! *faints dead away*
 
*is revived with smelling salts*
 
Where was I? Oh yes, my contribution to the collection is entitled Masquerade Melody. Along with being my first Regency historical, it is also the most personal story I’ve written to date. I cannot wait for readers to meet these characters that are so dear to my heart!
 
 
 
 
Attending an obligatory summer at the whimsical Royal Pavilion, Adelaide Langley, a dutiful lady’s companion and gifted singer, strives to maintain the favor of her conniving cousin, while Colonel Walter Marlowe, the irritable Marquess of Glenmire and a skilled composer, just wants to be left alone. Can a masquerade melody bring them together? ~ Masquerade Melody by Angela Bell, part of TheRegency Brides Collection / Available for Pre-Order.
 
I always knew I’d need these smelling salts. *grins and tucks smelling salts away* And fangirl moment – OHMYGOSH! The REAL Pemberly!!! *squeals now that the danger has passed* Goodness, I love that cover! Now, this is one of my favorite questions. Do you have a favorite Bible verse or story that inspires you on a soul level?
 
In 2015, both of my grandmothers suddenly passed away from cancer—within eleven days of each other. As my family has walked together through the grieving process, I’ve often been drawn to this Psalm.
 
 
"When someone is hurting or brokenhearted,
the Eternal moves in close and revives him in his pain."
~ Psalm 34:18, (VOICE).
 
 
The notion of God moving in close to the brokenhearted is such an incredible comfort! Amazingly, He doesn't rebuke my angry whys or my brokenness. Nor does He shy away from my grief or my tears. Instead, He draws close to my shattered pieces and gently puts them back together.
 
 

 
YES! Man, our God is awesome! So inquiring minds (mine) want to know: what are you currently reading?
 
Right now, I’m reading Cranford by the brilliant Elizabeth Gaskell. This novella was originally published in serialization between 1851-1853, and let me tell you, it is abundant with charm and hilarity! I highly recommend it for those who enjoy British humor and all things Victorian.
 
*adds 413th book to Amazon wishlist*
 
Thank you so much for hanging out with us today and for answering my crazy questions, Angela!
 

Thanks for stopping by my writerly, bookish friends! <3 See you next time!

Hugs,

V. Joy Palmer

3 comments:

Deana said...

Thanks for the wonderful interview. I will have to grab a copy of your book.

Unknown said...

Hello, Deana! I'm so glad you enjoyed the interview.

Please feel welcome to stay in touch on my Facebook page @AuthorAngelaBell, where you can also get updates on my writing. God bless! :-)

V. Joy Palmer said...

Thank you for stopping by, Deana! I definitely recommend Angela's stories! :)