Wednesday, June 5, 2019

JULIE COSGROVE'S NEW RELEASE "FALLEN LEAF"


GOOD MORNING EVERYONE! We are so blessed to have my friend, my extra set of eyes sometimes on my manuscripts, and super author JULIE COSGROVE with us today.





 Goodness girl, I know this has been a difficult year or so with health issues, Julie. Will you share with us how the Lord Jesus has carried and strengthened you during the writing of not only this book, but the other ministry work He has called you to?

Writing is one thing I could do even when I could not walk. Whether living vicariously through my characters or writing and editing devotionals in my digital missionary work for CRU, I felt useful and used by my Lord. That gave me purpose. No matter our condition, age, or circumstances, we can always be an example of faithfulness and be servants to His glory.

Also, having health issues made me more sensitive to others as well as giving me more time to pray for them. That has kept me positive.

One thing I learned when our daughter died is grief makes you more sensitive to others and certifies what God called us to do and be…comforters! When He comforts us, we, in turn are to comfort others with the comfort we’ve received.



Through the years I’ve been a “Julie Cosgrove” fan, and have read every one of your books, girlfriend. How in the world do you fill your cast of characters? The gals in this new series…ONE LEAF TOO MANY and FALLEN LEAF jumped right off the page and into my heart. Are they random or do you use people you know as patterns?




Ah, you are so sweet. You are such an encourager, too. The characters are totally made up. To know they jumped off the page for you excites me. I want my novels to be character-driven as well as action-driven. If my readers can empathize with them, I have done my job.

 For the Relatively Seeking Mysteries, which are cozy mysteries with a genealogical twist, my publisher wanted me to write about thirty-something aged women as the main characters. Three gals from different backgrounds, races and experiences who are bound by church friendships seemed like a great place to start. It demonstrated how God’s love unites us despite of our differences and quirks.



Since I had a three-book contract, it made sense to “star” one of the ladies in each book as they seek to discover more about some relatives of the past and present. One Leaf Too Many featured Bailey, a wealthy socialite turned accounting clerk with a strong stubborn streak and huge heart. Fallen Leaf features adopted Jessica, a petite blonde freelance writer who could fade into the background if it weren’t for her sweet disposition and determination to right wrongs. The third, Leaf Me Alone, which is in the works, features feisty Shannon, a young married entrepreneur black woman who has learned to do for herself since her husband travels for his job. She can be a bit bossy and opinionated, but her loyalty and wisdom shines through. And she deeply loves her hubby, Jayden.


Oh wow! I’m all in for feisty Shannon. Love her personality. And I guess I relate to her with all the years my husband worked out-of-town…makes a girl put on her big girl boots to tromp through the days. Can’t wait for Leaf Me Alone!



Will you share with us about the doors God has opened in your writing ministry?

At times I think perhaps He has only cracked a window or two. Some doors have definitely closed.

Since I have always supported missionaries, I thought raising money to support my missionary salary would be easy. It is not! It is still a struggle. I thought I would be fully funded by now, but three years in, and I am only half-way there. Not being able to meet-and-greet and travel has been a deterrent, but God seems to always provide one way or another.

As far as my fiction, there is not enough time or space to tell of all the ways His hand has moved over my keystrokes. I have been blessed to find publishers who think my books are worth taking a risk on. And He has laid out the steppingstones each time.

And I’m so delighted He laid those stepping stones for you. Your fiction (based on facts) have opened my eyes and thrilled my heart over and over again. If you folks haven’t read any of Julie’s books, just close your eyes and pick one. They’re all super reading! Psst, and they make perfect gifts. I have a Florida friend who’s as big a fan as I am of Julie, ‘cause she knows part of her Christmas and birthday gifts are going to be Julie’s latest…she loves ‘em too!



During the course of this past year, is there one particular verse or a combination of verses that God has given to carry you through?

“Give thanks to the Lord, call on His name, make known among the nations what He has done.” I Chronicles 18:8

This verse says it all! In all things, I have learned to give thanks that He is right there with me and patiently loves me. I have definitely called on His name…a lot! Sometimes with clenched teeth, but I’ve called. I have never doubted His presence.

And through my digital ministry, I am a small part of fulfilling the Great Commission to go into the nations via the internet. The Life.com has readerships in the hundred-thousands in many languages. Our devotionals and articles touch more lives than we ever could if we were boots on the ground. So many people turn to the internet for community and information. Our tag line is, The world is on the Internet. We help them find Jesus.

My own seven-year-old devotional blog, Where Did You Find God Today?, now has readers in over 50 countries.

I know many reading this interview would like the opportunity to hold you up in prayer…how can we help your ministry? How can we best pray for you?

If anyone would like to support me financially, I am in the midst of my 20/20 vision. I am seeking twenty people to offer $20 a month. My link is  https://thelifeproject.com/team/julie/. Since we are international, I am “US Editorial”.

Of course, buying any one of my 14 novels would be nice. You can preview them on my website,  www.juliecosgrove.com
But prayer is the most important thing anyone can provide. Satan wants to thwart wholesome, faith-based writing from being published. Christian authors face much more than writer’s block!

Pray that I may continue to be used to His glory in whatever He has planned and that I will continue to trust that He will whether it is editing devotionals, writing them, writing clean novels with a message of hope, or helping other Christian writers master the craft.

And as usual, I must ask you to give new writers your best piece of writerly counsel.

First and foremost, find a critique group online or in your area that has seasoned, published authors. Learn from them and develop a tough skin. Take their advice and critiques to heart. They want your success, too. Like any art, talent will only take you so far. You have to develop your talent.  If you can afford it, attend a writers’ conference. Read books on writing. DiAn Mills has a great one called The Dance of Character and Plot. Writing the Breakout Novel by Donald Maas is informative as well. You are writing for one person, God. Don’t you want to do your best?



Second, take your time. He will tell you when your book or article is ready for the world. Don’t rush it. Get good, professional editors to look over your work in progress (WIP). Again, take their suggestions to heart. Then have a fresh pair of eyes proofread it once it is edited. Computers breed typos like rabbits!


Did I understand correctly…is there another LEAF in the process? Do you have a release date yet?



Yes’m. Leaf Me Alone is set for release in February 2020. I don’t have an exact date yet. I have turned in my manuscript and it is in the hands of two editors as we speak. My publisher wants me to continue the series, so God willing, there may be a few more Relatively Seeking Mysteries down the road.

Let me be the first to say I loved the prologue into FALLEN LEAF and the way your publisher sent small segments to pique our interest. Can we expect more of this approach in the future? Sure worked for me!


It was fun to do the short mystery story, “The Leaf that Fell”, in nine segments that were sent out one by one over two weeks prior to the release of Fallen Leaf. My publisher was so pro-active in getting the word out. Bless you Marji with Write Integrity Press!

She was very pleased with the response. So, yes. We will do something similar. Pray for the Holy Spirit to guide me over the summer in writing another short mystery story as a prequel to Leaf Me Alone.



I am featuring “A Leaf That Fell” as a freebie on my website if people sign up for my newsletter. Just click on one of the “Leaf” book covers on the home page.

It’s been a pleasure having you visit with us today, Julie.  If you folks haven’t read Julie’s new series, I urge you to grab both books and catch up…they are wonderful!

No comments: