Tuesday, April 5, 2022

Polar Plunge of Fun with Author Laurie Wood

Slow down those snowmobiles and turn in here by the mirrored lake, readers. Quick, over here by the open-pit fire in the wind-washed hills of Canada. Or at least, that’s my imaginary image having never been there. And you know, I'm always dreaming of snow. But our next author knows all about Canada. And her books are set there with a healthy dose of polar bears! Sounds intriguing, huh? Read on.

PT: Welcome Laurie! Glad you could make the trip from the north to be with us this week. We’re plunging right into the icy waters to let our readers know all about you. Let’s start with your motivation, your reason for writing. And while you’re at it, throw in a little genre choice and why you chose that direction.


LW: Thank you, Peggy, for having me as your guest today! That’s a big question – what’s my “why” for writing books? And it’s one that every author needs to keep on a sticky note over their computer, I think, for those bad days when things don’t seem to be going right for your career.

My “why” is that I write to entertain, to educate, and to enlighten readers as well as myself. I enjoy everything about the writing process, especially creating new characters that no one else has ever thought about before.

I write inspirational and clean romantic suspense. It’s a genre I love to read, and it was a natural for me to want to write it, as I was a police officer thirty-four years ago. It was a difficult job but one I count as the best job I ever had or performed.

PT: Nice. I, and I’m sure the readers, appreciate your service. Now, tell us what you want to impart to your readers through your books.

LW: Some people who’ve interviewed me say, “oh, you write ‘issue’ books”, and I suppose that’s true. I’ve covered PTSD, painkiller addiction, sexual assault, raising special needs children, and dysfunctional parental relationships. These are things that Christians struggle with every day just as non-Christians do.

We have Christians serving in the military, law enforcement, and emergency services who’re suffering from PTSD, and possibly addictions because of injuries they’ve received in the course of their service. As a police officer, I dealt with survivors of sexual assault. My husband and I’ve raised two special needs children to adulthood, and I can testify to that experience.

In my upcoming book, I’m going to tackle adoption, as well as survivor’s guilt. So, I’d like readers to know they’re going to get an exciting adventure/suspense story in my books, but also that they might learn something new because I do a ton of research of these issues.

PT: Let’s skate over to spending time with God. Can you give us a peek into your devotional time?

LW: I’m smiling because that’s such a personal question. I have several prayer books and devotional books I cycle through during the year. (I’m a big fan of Max Lucado for devotionals) Our church reads through one of the Gospels during Advent and Lent, leading up to Christmas and Easter and I enjoy keeping up with those readings. I find that the Psalms are my go-to for everyday prayers and finding that touchstone for feeling God’s presence in my day.

Your readers may not be aware of two free Apps they can download from the App Store online that are Christian. One is called “Abide” and one is called “Soul Time”. They both offer Bible readings and mindfulness meditation, and I love using both of those during times of anxiety or stress.

PT: Great recommendations. Let’s get to the nitty-gritty. When you write, are you inside or outside, in an office or a random spot, and, the burning question, are there snacks? What does your writing schedule look like?

LW: My “office” has always been a corner facing the wall in our dining room, lol. The corner means I can pin up my book covers and inspirational notes to myself, as well as photos I like to use to remind me of my characters. I like to trick my mind into going into my story world with some photos of what I’m writing about.

I eat snacks during writing – who doesn’t? Preferred snacks are mini–Coffee Crisp bars, nacho chips, or mixed fruit salad. Usually, I eat all three during the day. My writing schedule is best between 9:30 to 2:30 p.m. for “new” writing. After 2:30 p.m. my brain shuts down for anything needing creativity and then I can work on blogs, emails, and social media posts.

PT: Best book you’ve read recently?

LW: The best book I’ve read recently is The Vanished Days by Susanna Kearsley. It’s a dual timeline story taking place between the early 1700’s and later in the 1700’s, which is unusual because a dual timeline is normally historical and then contemporary. Her books are clean, historical fiction and I can’t recommend them highly enough.

PT: How do you deal with writers’ block and distractions?

LW: I hate “writers block” because it is a real thing, and non-writers don’t understand it. I find that writing something besides the book I’m supposed to be working on, usually frees me up. For example, I might start a short, short story about something completely different, or just read a book that isn’t in the same genre. If I really need to get writing and have too many distractions, I’ll set my phone timer for 25 minutes, and start typing anything on the computer. You can write anything for 25 minutes, and then you can usually keep on going.

PT: I love to ask this question as an author myself. Which is the most trying for you: writing, editing, promoting or something else altogether?

LW: Getting my first draft down is the most trying thing for me. This is usually because I have a million ways the plot could go and I have to choose between things I want to include in the story. Now that I’m published, I really try and plot out the major events right to the end and use it as a guide, allowing myself the freedom to change things up along the way when better ideas come to me in the actual writing.

PT: How do you determine the looks of your characters?

LW: I try not to repeat the physicality of my characters. I want each romantic couple to stand on their own and be memorable in their own ways. So, I think about the characteristics of the person I want to portray and what kind of physical needs do they require for the story I’m telling and put those things together. I want normal looking people but with something remarkable in their looks that a reader can keep in the back of their minds.

PT: Tell us a little about your series, Heroes of the Tundra.

LW: The series takes place in the real-life town of Churchill, Manitoba, which sits on the southern shore of Hudson Bay in Canada. It also sits right on top of a polar bear migration route, which is why it’s called, legitimately, The Polar Bear Capitol of the World. It has one of the largest polar bear populations in that area of Canada.

The first book, NorthernDeception, has a polar bear scientist for a heroine, and an expedition tour guide hero. They’re reunited in town after she discovers her dead brother was a whistleblower for a company doing nefarious things up there, and there’s people willing to kill to get the evidence back that he stole from them.

The book, NorthernHearts, is a Christmas novella (long) set in the Christmas time right after that book ends and is more of a cozy mystery.

You don’t have to read the books in order but characters from each story appear and reappear throughout the books.

PT: Tell us a little about the second book.



LW: The second book, Northern Protector, falls in the summer after the first book. It’s the story of the police officer who was mauled by a polar bear in the first book. He finds love with an ER nurse and finds a serial killer at the same time.

PT: Will there be other books in the Heroes of the Tundra series?

LW: Yes, I’m writing it right now and it should be out in January 2023. As I said above, it’ll touch on themes of adoption and what is real family, along with another life and death story on the tundra.

PT: My fav question! Tell 5 things fast about Laurie Wood that have nothing to do with writing.

LW:

I was a municipal police officer in the 1980’s.

I ran an overnight crisis shelter for youth aged 16-21.

My husband and I have raised two special needs children with Down Syndrome to adulthood.

I’m a dog person and have dogs in all of my books.

I’m an avid knitter and often spin my own yarn on my spinning wheel.

PT: Entice our readers with what’s on the horizon for your next book?

LW: When I’m finished writing the Heroes of the Tundra series, I’ve got a “buddy cop” police procedural planned, along with a series set in several of Canada’s National Parks. I love the romantic suspense genre and can’t see myself writing anything else.

PT: Sounds fabulous! So glad you could join us today.  

And Laurie is giving away one E-book copy of Northern Protectors. But you must comment or send us a notification on our contact form to be entered in the drawing.

Now goggles on! Time to zip away to our favorite reading spot. And be sure to add Laurie's books to your TBR. Till next time!


Laurie's Bio:

Laurie Wood lives in Central Canada and writes inspirational romantic suspense with an edge of danger. She’s also a military wife who’s raised two wonderful special needs children to adulthood. They’ve lived all over Canada and are still on that journey. When she’s not writing she can be found at her spinning wheel, knitting, or hanging out with her dogs in the garden. She loves to hear from readers and always replies so feel free to get in touch with her.

Please visit her at https://www.lauriewoodauthor.com

Facebook:             https://www.facebook.com/lauriewoodauthor

Twitter:                 https://twitter.com/LaurieJeanWood

Purchase Links:

Amazon.com: https://amzn.to/3femV6Y

Amazon.ca:    https://amzn.to/2KfyoYq

Anaiah Press: https://bit.ly/3pGPrD6 (Print copies)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey, readers! Don't miss my next book, The Spellbound Schoolmarm releasing on June 1st! Please go and sign up for prizes and giveaways on my website, peggytrotter.com.

2 comments:

Elva Cobb Martin, South Carolina said...

Hi Peggy and other bloggers on The Diamond Mine,
I'd love to read your interviews/blogs but the colored ink is impossible to read in my inbox. The font is a little small, too. All may show up okay on your dark background on the blog online, but it's a no go for my inbox where I read most blogs. Just so you'd know.
Blessings,
Elva Cobb Martin
Anderson, SC

Peggy Trotter said...

Thank you Elva! I will look into that.