Wednesday, June 21, 2023

An #interview with Elly Gilbert, Author of Under the Blue Skies (A Big Sky Amish novel #3)

 

Interview with Elly Gilbert about her new book    Under the Blue Skies. (A Big Sky Amish Novel)

 




 LVH: Glad to have you stop by, .  Tell us about the book: 

EG: Under the Blue Skies is the third book in the Sunrise Big Sky Amish series. It takes place in West Kootenai, Montana, like the rest of the books Tricia Goyer wrote. In this book, a man named Thomas Smucker moves to West Kootenai to start a new life.. However, his plans are disrupted when his five-year-old niece is suddenly placed in his care. Meanwhile, Lovina Graber, a woman with some physical struggles and a secret she wants to keep, dedicates her time to helping others, despite longing for a family of her own. When Thomas becomes an instant father, Lovina steps in to help him care for his niece, and the two develop a unique bond. As Thomas's life begins to unravel, Lovina is there to pick up the pieces, but she must confront her own doubts about her worthiness, especially when her secret is revealed in an embarrassing way.

LVH: I can't wait to read it! How did your interest in writing originate?

EG:  I’ve been writing since 2nd grade when I won a short story contest. From then on, I was hooked. I wrote poetry and stories up through high school, majored in English, and taught middle and high school reading and writing for about 20 years. Once I left the classroom, I had more time to write and learned about the Sunrise Publishing opportunity, so I auditioned and won a contract.

LVH: What does your writing process look like? 

EG;  I work full time and have three busy teenage kids, so most of my writing time occurs in the margins of life. Sometimes I write early in the morning or on my lunch break. I try to keep a tight schedule but sometimes I get behind, which frustrates me. I also tend to be a perfectionist, so sometimes it is a challenge to push past that and get the words on paper. I’ve really enjoyed having Tricia as a mentor who gives me encouragement and feedback along the way. Otherwise, I might have given up several times along the way!

 

 LVH:  If you could cast your characters in the Hollywood adaptation of your book, who would play your characters? 

EG:  For Lovina, I kept picturing Rachel Shenton, who plays Helen on All Creatures Great and Small- she has such a sweet, delicate face with the most endearing dimples. For Thomas, I thought of Jonathan Jackson, who played Lucky Spencer on General Hospital.  I had such a crush on him in high school! I thought he had a brooding look that was perfect for a quiet, troubled guy like Thomas. And of course, for Emily, I pictured a young Dakota Fanning from her Uptown Girls movie days- a little sassy, but completely adorable!

LVH: Who was your favorite character in Under the Blue Skies

EG:  That’s hard! I guess I felt closest to Lovina because there are elements of her that come from my personality. She wants to help others and not draw attention to herself. She struggles with her feelings of worthiness. When I started writing her, I envisioned her as more bitter about her situation, but that didn’t really work for who I felt she was at her core, so she changed, and I really loved how she turned out. She’s someone I would be friends with.

 LVH: What are you working on now? What is your next project? 

EG: I’m writing my second Sunrise book. This one’s about Lovina’s twin sister Josie who is learning how to allow others to help her. After that, who knows what’s next!

 LVH: Share your bio:



EG:  Elly Gilbert lives in central Kentucky with her husband, daughter, and twin sons. A lifelong bookworm, she finds joy in reading and writing inspirational fiction and devotions for adults and teens. When she’s away from her desk, you can find her scoping out the nearest nacho joint with her family or snuggled up with her rescue dogs, Gus and Charli. She adores her pearls, never turns down dessert, and believes that when it comes to earrings, bigger is always better.

 Website:www.ellygilbert.com

Instagram: @MrsEllyGilbert

Facebook: @MrsEllyGilbert

Twitter: @MrsEllyGilbert








No comments: