Wednesday, August 30, 2023

An Interview with BJ Basset, author of The Greatest Sacrifice

 

An Interview with BJ Basset, author of The Greatest Sacrifice


BJ is kindly giving away a copy of The Greatest Sacrifice.  Be sure to leave a comment and contact information.  Remember we must have 5 entries to have a drawing!

 


LH:
BJ Bassett, one of Lighthouse’s monthly guest bloggers, is with us today, sharing about her new book, The Greatest Sacrifice. Welcome BJ.

BJ: Thank you for having me.

LH: What is the story behind the creation of your newest book, The Greatest Sacrifice?

BJ: It all began when I visited with a friend who was adopted and she was telling me how the adoption triangle is unique between the birth mother, adoption mother, and adoptee. I was very interested to learn more because in 1963 my husband, Ed, and I adopted our first child. We did a private adoption with my OBGYN, taking our daughter home from the hospital when she was three days old. During the following years, I gave birth to three more children.

LH: So, is the story your daughter’s story?

BJ: No. The Greatest Sacrifice is fiction. I only write about things I’ve experienced or I’ve researched. Otherwise, your readers won’t trust you. During COVID, my daughter Dawn searched for her birth family through Ancestry. She discovered a brother, two sisters and two cousins who welcomed her into their family. It took Dawn’s birth mother another couple of years to have a relationship with Dawn. The idea for the book happened when Dawn said, “Mom, if my birth mother ever was homeless, you know I’d take her in.” Of course, she would. Dawn is the most generous person I know. When I told her sister Kathy, her response was, “Dawn has a heart of gold. That was the spark of an idea and the working title The Girl with a Heart of Gold. The editor changed the title after the book was edited. I had a little bit of trouble with the title change because, as a Christian, Jesus Christ is the greatest sacrifice. But I went along with the editor’s change. Some things just aren’t worth digging her heals in.

LH: What was your experience like with the editor? Did she make other changes you didn’t agree with?

BJ: It was difficult in the beginning because she didn’t like my book. And I always become physically ill during the editing process. That’s why every time I finish a novel, I say I’ll never write another book.

LH: Won’t your readers be disappointed?

BJ: Some might. And I should probably never say never. As a Christian writer I feel called to write, yet as of right now I only plan to write shorter pieces, like magazine articles. I’m working on an article about downsizing for senior publications titled “At First You Cry, Then You Thrive.”

LH: The title sound intriguing. But back to the book. What is the best part of seeing The Greatest Sacrifice published?

BJ: My daughter Dawn didn’t know I dedicated the book to her until she opened it. Her reaction to the dedication page was worth all the hard work, the rejections, the difficult relationship with the editor, and the two years wait for the book’s release. Also, several of my faithful readers love it. Writers aim for their readers to feel. I believe I accomplished that in The Greatest Sacrifice.

LH: Thank you for sharing your candid experience. I know readers will be interested in reading The Greatest Sacrifice. Where can they purchase it?

BJ: It’s available on Amazon. Or if anyone would like a signed copy, they can order from me at bunny1940bassett@gmail.com.




B. J. Bassett encourages others as an author, teacher and speaker. Her books include a contemporary novel, Gillian’s Heart; a historical novel Lily; Sweet Charity; A Touch of Grace—The G.R.A.C.E. Ministries Story; and coauthor of a children’s devotional My Time with God, Focus on the Family, Heritage Builders, with over 55,000 copies sold.

 

As a contributing writer, publications consist of Writer’s Handbook 2000, The Writer, and The Focus on the Family Guide to Growing a Healthy Home, Wolgemuth& Hyatt, Publishers, Inc.—consistently on Bookstore Journal’s Best-selling Christian Books List from November 1990 - February 1991, and voted the 10 Best Books for 1990 by Today’s Christian Woman.

 

Magazines, devotional booklets, curriculum and newspaper publishers include Focus on the Family, Woman’s World, The Quiet Hour, Pathways to God, Devotions, Harcourt Brace, WordAction, Gospel Publishing and Times Standard (newspaper).

 

She teaches writing workshops at Umpqua Community College, Roseburg, OR and at writer’s conferences. As a speaker for Stonecroft Ministries, she tells her story of rejection and acceptance, not only in life, but as a writer as well. She also offers book talks, including discussion questions and shares the journey -- from the seed of an idea to a published book.

 

Memberships: ACFW and Oregon Christian Writers (OCW).

 

She enjoys reading, jigsaw puzzles, knitting, munching warm scones oozing with butter and strawberry jam and sipping earl grey tea.

 

 

1 comment:

Kathleen said...

Great interview, Laura and Bunny! I learned some new details about this lovely story. Thank you for persevering.