Sunday, October 15, 2023

Motherhood, Writing, and a Split-Time Story with Sarah Hanks

Y'all, I'm late getting this post up but didn't want you to miss out on meeting the delightful Sarah Hanks. The delay is completely my fault since our guest sent me her interview weeks ago. Let me just say, if you have not ready anything by Sarah, you are missing out on some wonderful books. And Sarah is giving one of our readers an e-book of her latest release. Keep reading to learn more about the book as well as how to enter the giveaway.

 About Sarah Hanks



Sarah Hanks spent a decade delightfully merging her two main passions—writing and equipping children—by writing a variety of Sunday school curricula for churches in her community. She wrote her first novel when she was seventeen and continued to write fiction “on the side” until deciding to pursue writing professionally with Mercy Will Follow Me. She and her husband have nine children of their own, a couple of whom seem to have inherited their mother’s love for playing with words and crafting stories. Though Sarah dreams of a cabin by the beach, the family lives together in beautiful chaos in St. Charles, Missouri. She buys ear plugs in bulk.


Visit Sarah's website and learn 10 random facts about her (on the about page): https://sarah-hanks.com/ 
Follow Sarah via: Newsletter | Facebook | Instagram


Suzie: Welcome to the Diamond Mine, Sarah. I’m so excited to introduce you and your books to our readers. I always like to start with a couple book- and writer-themed would you rather questions. Would you rather write in a rooftop garden surrounded by city noises — or in a quiet studio with cows as your neighbors? 

Sarah: I could probably write anywhere my children aren’t. Noise doesn’t bother me as long as it’s not coming from my dear ones screaming, fighting, crying, or saying “Mom! Mom! Mom!”. But I might get more words in with the cows. 


Suzie: The plight of motherhood. Your kids need you most (or think they do) when you are trying to concentrate on something else. 

Would you rather read a book with no page numbers or no chapter numbers? 

Sarah: Chapter numbers. Chapter length varies drastically, so the chapter number doesn’t tell me much anyway.

Suzie: Agreed. Now, if there were no scene breaks, I might have a different opinion. Alright, that’s enough of those. Tell us a little about you—family, hobbies, day job, or whatever you’d like to share that’s not in your bio. 

Sarah: I have nine children. That is in my bio, but what’s not is that the oldest is 18 and the youngest is 6 months. Eight of our nine children live at home. Two are adopted. Our 18-year-old son has Down syndrome. We adopted him when he was 7, and it was one of the best decisions we ever made for our family. He’s amazing. All my children are. They are my absolute favorite people in the world. They keep me busy. 

 No, I do not homeschool (though I did for years). I teach in children’s ministry at my church and work a few hours a week at a local preschool. I gravitate towards children and can’t seem to stay away.

Suzie: Wow, nine children!! Take that Mom! Mom! Mom! answer from earlier and multiply it by nine. I'm impressed you are able to write at all.

What are three books on your current tbr? 

Sarah: Positively Penelope by Pepper Basham (I loved Authentically Izzy) Brynn and Sebastian Hate Each Other by Bethany Turner (Can’t resist a good Rom-Com) Undercurrent of Secrets by Rachel Scott McDaniel (One word: Steamboats!) 


Suzie: I've read Pepper's and Rachel's books. Both are wonderful.

What does your writing space look like? 


Sarah: A cluttered desk with a baby blanket on the floor next to it. My baby plays with his toys and “reads” while I write … when I’m not holding him and trying to type one handed and when he’s not spitting up on my shoulder. 


Suzie: Multi-tasking at its finest!

You write split time fiction. Is one timeline easier to write than the other? What do you like most about each genre? 

Sarah: The modern-day storyline is, in general, easier to write because there’s less research involved. The historical storyline always takes more time and fact checking, but it’s also more fun for me. I love how history informs the present. We don’t live in a vacuum. Choices made hundreds of years ago affect us now and choices we make now affect the future. It’s interesting to think how interconnected we all are. 


Suzie: That is the truth. 

Tell us more about Fall Back and Find Me

Sarah: Fall Back and Find Me is a fictionalized account of my journey with chronic illness. About eight years ago, I was diagnosed with POTS (Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome). I went from thriving in a job I loved to becoming bedridden. Though Amber (the protagonist in the novel) differs from me in many ways, the emotions she goes through are very similar to my own. The journey of the heart is similar. Fall Back and Find Me is another Sister in Arms novel that features a secret female Civil War solider in the historical storyline. Willow’s body also betrays her with “irritable heart”, a diagnosis common in that time. Both women are on a journey to find their identity apart from their performance. I believe the message contained within the pages is imperative for women today to grab hold of. 

Suzie: Sounds amazing!! I need to move this book up on my to-read list!

What are you currently working on?

Sarah: I’m about to start writing a fictionalized story based on my grandfather’s life. It’s my way of honoring this man who has sown into me throughout my life and who has made a big difference in little ways. It will be a split-time with one storyline in the 1960s and another one in modern day. It will center around his barber shop New Creations. 


Suzie: Wow, another story that I want to read. Last but never least, how can we pray for you? 

Sarah: I always welcome prayers for wisdom and strength as I parent this troop of mighty warriors. They are my first and most important ministry. And, of course, that I would be faithful to tell the stories the Lord has for me to tell.


Suzie: Thank you so much for spending some time with us, Sarah. It has been a pleasure getting to know you more.


About Fall Back and Find Me


Two resilient women separated by over 150 years are linked forever by their challenges, values, and determination.

Amber Prichard is thriving in her role as pastor’s wife, mom, and indispensable church volunteer—until chronic illness threatens to upend everything. Now unable to prove her value, she is forced to reevaluate how she defines herself. Inspired by an ancestor’s faded journal and heirlooms, she must work with her arch-nemesis if she wants to accomplish what is now impossible on her own.

Faced with the turmoil of the civil war, Willow Forrester didn’t intend to illegally enlist in the Union army as a secret female soldier. She only wanted to escape her father’s tyranny and follow her brother into the throes of adventure. When she comes face to face with the leader of a guerilla army, her health and insecurities threaten to shatter her heroism and render her powerless.

As their opposition threatens to overtake them, these two women must find their strength and identity to defeat impossible odds.



Giveaway

One (1) winner will receive an e-book copy of Fall Back and Find Me. To enter, leave a comment below and tell us if you prefer country or city living. Be sure to leave a way for us to contact you if you win. Giveaway is open until Sunday, 10/22/23.

No comments: