Wednesday, July 22, 2026

Following God's Lead: A Conversation with Denise M. Colby

Denise M. Colby's path to becoming an author wasn't one she planned. From dancing down Main Street at Disneyland to building a career in marketing, each season prepared her for the moment God placed a story on her heart. Since then, she's been delighting readers with heartfelt historical fiction, memorable characters, and stories that unfold in unexpected ways.

In today's interview, Denise shares how a school field trip sparked her writing journey, why she's a proud discovery writer, the inspiration behind one of her readers' favorite characters, and how she balances a full-time career with writing books. She also gives us a glimpse of what's coming next—and how we can pray for her as she continues to follow God's leading.

As a special thank-you to readers, Denise is also giving away a digital copy of her debut novel to one lucky winner. Be sure to enter the giveaway after the interview!

Please join me in welcoming Denise Colby!


About Denise M. Colby


Denise M. Colby loves history and constantly finds herself contemplating how it was to live in the 1800’s.

She treasures the written word and the messages that can be conveyed when certain words are strung together. An avid journal writer, she usually can be found with a pen and notepad whenever she’s reading God’s word.

Born and raised in Northern California, Denise moved to Southern California for college and to dance in the parades at Disneyland (well, she might’ve picked the college so she could dance at Disneyland) and never left the area. She loves to read, watch movies with her family, sing 80’s and musical songs, tap dance, and spend date nights with her husband at ‘The Happiest Place on Earth’.

Denise is passionate about all types of stories—whether they are from songs, theatre, movies, or novels. Besides her novels, she has published two articles in compilation books and eleven magazine articles.

Every year Denise chooses a word to focus on. For 2026, her word is BALANCE. Releasing four books within a two-year period is definitely teaching her a lot about this word.

She shares her learnings about her focus word throughout the year, as well as behind the scenes tidbits from her writing. Sign up for her newsletter or you can follow Denise on her social media or her blogs.

Writing a book is definitely not as easy as it looks, but she wouldn’t change her journey. A member of multiple writing groups, she has made some amazing friends through the years. If you are interested in writing, send Denise a message and she would love to help direct you to a writing group where you can get plugged in.

Or you can check out her posts on the writers' blog, A Slice of Orange, as she shares her writing journey with other authors.


Follow Denise on social media: Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest | X/Twitter


1.     Suzie: Welcome, Denise. We are thrilled you are joining us this week. Tell us a little bit about yourself.

Denise: I grew taking dance class. Tap, jazz, ballet. All of it. I don’t think it ever leaves you. My favorite


has always been tap dance. I’ve taught private lessons in college and in recent years taught in my garage beginning tap. I even had a moms' class for a while and it was so fun. Sometimes I still pull out my shoes and dance. Besides tap, I was fortunate to be a choreographer for musical theater for seven years, teaching middle school students (including all three of my kids). Also, I grew up dreaming of wanting to dance at Disneyland, so I had moved to Southern California for college to do just that. Dancing down main street was my dream come true (which taught me a lot about going for your dreams). Plus, I met my husband there and stayed in the area. Now it’s our date night place.

 



Suzie: So much fun. I love that you reached for your dreams. What was the catalyst for your interest in writing?


Denise: I never planned on being an author, but after a school field trip to Sacramento with my oldest son, and visiting the one-room schoolhouse there, an idea for a story took root. It wasn’t until the same trip two years later with my second son that I attempted to actually write something. God put the desire on my heart, but it wasn’t anything I myself had thought of doing.



Suzie: God is pretty amazing the way he plants something in our hearts, isn't he? Do you have a day job? If so, how do you find time in your day to write?

Denise: During the day I work for a drainage company as a Sr. PIM Marketing Manager. I help organize and write the copy for our e-commerce pages that show up on Amazon, Lowe’s, Home Depot, and other companies. I get to work from home. So I start the day early with writing related tasks (and writing) and then pivot at my desk for work. When I’m on deadline I also write in the evening and weekends if needed. I’ve found writing sprints the best tool for me to write my books.


Suzie: Writing sprints are great motivators. Are you a night owl or morning person?

Denise: Can I be both? I wish my body agreed – lol.


Suzie: Do you reward yourself when a book is finished? If so, what is your favorite treat?

Denise: Yes - Ice Cream



Suzie: You can't go wrong with ice cream. Were there any surprises that came up as you wrote your story?

Denise: Always. I love how the story connects organically as I’m writing. Only God can do that. It’s a beautiful thing.


Suzie: It really is beautiful. Who was your favorite character to create? 


Denise: I love building all my characters and seeing them grow. But I think my favorite is Bert. He seems to be everyone’s favorite.


Suzie: Bert is a ton of fun. How did you come up with the names of your characters?

Denise: Some of the names are family names. I also do research online for the time period. I’ve even wandered around a cemetery taking notes (we were visiting family). I just shared in my newsletter how Bert’s name was chosen. I wanted a B name to honor my mom (Beverly), and I loved Bert in Mary Poppins.


Suzie: Those are great ways to determine character names. Are you a plotter or a panster?

Denise: I figure out my characters and some basic things overall, but I am definitely more a pantser.


Suzie: I am too. I really need to change that question to say "are you a plotter or a discovery writer." Are you part of a writing group?

Denise: Yes, I’m actually a part of several. They have all been amazing. I love the friendships and support I’ve built with all of them. I highly recommend joining them. The groups I’m a part of include:

Faith, Hope, Love Christian Writers – https://fhlchristianwriters.com

ACFW – https://acfw.com

Novel Academy – https://novel.academy

OCRW (Orange County Romance Writers) – https://ocrw.clubexpress.com 


Suzie: Wonderful groups, for sure. Do you have a favorite author or book?

Denise: Long before I wrote, I loved reading Deanne Gist, Mary Connealy, Jen Turano, Karen Witemeyer, Julie Klassen, and many more.

 

3.   Suzie: There are a couple of my favorites on your list. What’s next for you as an author?

Denise: I’m currently writing a Christmas novella, and hope to write the other two teachers’ stories in the Best-laid Plans Series

 

4.     Suzie: Wonderful. More books for readers. How can we pray for you? 

Denise: My word this year is Balance. Working full time, building an author career, taking care of my health, and being present for my family and friends are all things I’m trying to juggle.


Suzie: Thank you for spending some time with us this week, Denise. And congratulations on your new book.


About A Whole New Plan


Sometimes God’s best plan is the one we never expected.

California, 1870. Pastor William Baker has built his life on faith, routine, and safe choices—until Lydia Spencer walks in and turns everything upside down.

Independent, outspoken, and guarded, Lydia is unlike any woman he’s ever known. She has no interest in church… and no intention of revealing the truth she’s hiding.

Because Lydia isn’t just a schoolteacher.

She’s a Pinkerton detective, sent west to track a dangerous crime boss—and she’ll do whatever it takes to protect those she loves, even if it means keeping her distance from the one man who sees straight through her defenses.

But when unexplained thefts shake their quiet small-town rural community, and a desperate boy appears with ties to a deeper mystery, Will and Lydia are forced into an uneasy partnership.

As danger closes in, so do their hearts.

What begins as a reluctant alliance soon becomes a forced proximity neither of them expected—and neither can ignore.

Yet the very things that draw them together may be the ones that tear them apart.

Lydia’s life is built on secrets.
Will’s is built on truth.

And when her past catches up with her, they’ll have to decide what matters most—holding on to their own plans… or trusting the One who sees the bigger picture.

Because sometimes surrender is the only way to find the life you were meant to live.

Set against the backdrop of the American West, A Whole New Plan is a heartfelt story of faith, courage, and a strong woman learning to trust again—woven with threads of mystery and hope.>

If you enjoy western Christian romances with elements of intrigue and heart, you’ll love A Whole New Plan—perfect for fans of Misty M. Beller and Mary Connealy.




Giveaway


Denise is generously giving away one digital copy of her debut novel (When Plans Go Awry) to a lucky reader!

To enter:

  1. 1. Answer this question in the comments: What dream has God placed on your heart that you're trusting Him with?
  • 2. Include a way for us to contact you if you're selected (email address or social media handle is fine).

Giveaway Rules:

  1. One winner will receive a digital copy of Denise's debut novel, When Plan Go Awry.
  • The giveaway will remain open until at least five eligible entries have been received.
  • Once five or more qualifying entries have been submitted, one winner will be selected at random and contacted using the information provided.

  • By entering, you agree that your comment may be publicly visible on this blog.

Good luck and thank you for visiting the diamond mine.



No comments: