Wednesday, April 3, 2019

Shawn Lamb Shares Her Novel, "The Great Battle"



Hello! Terry here. We are pleased this day to welcome Shawn Lamb, a Christian Fiction author who has much to share.


You have a rich background of animation and writing. How did you use these talents in your recent  'Allon' release?

Writing freelance scripts for children's television during the 1980s helped me grow as a writer in multiple ways. First, it gave me the opportunity to challenge my writing skills. The demand in Hollywood is for fast production. There is no such things as "writer's block" when hitting deadlines. If you missed a deadline or delayed in any way, doubtful you would get another assignment. Second, it taught me how to write for children. Prior to that, I was preparing historical fiction books for adults. There are really only slight differences, but enough to give understanding of how to captivate kids.  Third, it honed by voice and style by learning that I write "cinematically" - like watching a movie. Thus, I tell stories chronological and without plotting. It's all in my head, as often times I had to come up with ideas on the fly. All these things I learned writing scripts, made the transition to fiction very easy.

It takes so much time and energy to write a book. What can you share about the balance of being an author, a mom, wife, Christian writer, and so many other demands?

Honestly, I didn't land my first book contract until I was 50 years old. By then, our daughter was grown and out of college. (She's almost 31 years old ) However, Allon actually became a family endeavor when she was in high school. Yet, even with that blessing, the act of creativity needed to be harnessed so as not to interfere with family life. Scripture says, there is a time for everything. I always believed in God first, my husband, our daughter, and others, with my writing further down the list. Now, we are enjoying the fruit as a family.

We often use the term, ‘Christian’ fiction in many ways. You have found discipleship as a key for you. What can you share about discipleship that helps you every day or more?

For discipleship - or discipline - one needs to understanding their responsibility first God, and then in order of priorities after God. Paul talked about beating his body into submission, well creativity needs to be subjected to life's priorities rather than impulses. Just because I put on my "creative writing hat" doesn't mean all Biblical principles go out the window. Scripture doesn't differentiate between fiction (make-believe) and reality. I'm just as responsible for the words I write, as the words I speak. I don't compartmentalize my life. Scriptural principles rules everything.

So we have your new release. Please give us a fun ‘blurb’, as we reach for it. Where we can find your books, and where is your next book selling event?

"Fun blurb", lol. Well, here's a humorous exchange from "The Great Battle" between Kell, Captain of the immoral Guardians, and his aide, Avatar:

"Describe this beast you mentioned," said Kell.
"Which one? There were three different creatures inside some kind of holding room. A fuzzy worm the size of a large mortal family cat sprayed me with disgusting, stinging, and smelly green goop," said Avatar.
"A gullet worm. The goop is for preparing its prey for eating."
"Wonderful! It thought I was dinner."

The back jacket summary for "The Great Battle."


The vast splendor of the Almighty's compound graced the Region of Sanctuary. With wisdom, compassion, and justice, Jor'el utilized his immortal Guardians as administrators of the kingdom.  For centuries, the mortals lived in peace and prosperity under divine guidance. They went about content with life - or so they thought.  Guardians interacted with mortals on a daily basis. They offered protection and order. They were content in their role - or so they thought. When one Guardian upsets the balance, the consequences are devastating. For the first time ever, Guardians will face each other in war! Can the kingdom survive a battle of immortals?

All my book are available online including Amazon, and from the Allon Books bookstore via the Allon Books website -  www.allonbooks.com . My next personal event will be May 3-4 in Oklahoma City at the Oklahoma Christian Home Educators Convention.

Thank you for your interview. Am very appreciative. Make sure to look up her books at_www.allonbooks.com and thanks for reading.

Shawn is giving away a free copy of The Great Battle! Leave your name and email below in the comments to be entered.

No comments: