Wednesday, March 27, 2019

INTRODUCING AUTHOR CAROL JAMES


Good morning, Carol! I’m delighted to have this time to sit and visit with you on this beautiful Wednesday morning. All readers want to know more about their favorite writers.

Thanks so much for inviting me here today, DiAne. I am thrilled to be visiting the Diamond Mine.



At what point in your life did you decide to become a writer?

Writing kind of sneaked up on me. I was an English major in college because I loved to read, and I loved grammar (weird, I know). I wanted to teach, and I felt English was the one subject that would give me the opportunity to really get to know what was going on in the minds of my high school students. But only about ten years ago, did God call me to write.

Ahh, like me, you were a late bloomer in the writing field! So how about giving us the cliff note version of how and when your personal writing journey began?

I would love to—It’s a beautiful picture of God’s faithfulness, and I’ll do my best to keep it short. In 2000, I was teaching part-time in a small private school—my dream job! Life was wonderful…until my husband had a health issue and lost his job. I knew I had to get a “real” job, but I had always considered teaching my personal ministry, and I hated the thought of giving that up.

One day while sitting in our city park reading my Bible and eating a Chick-fil-A biscuit (some things are worth the calories), I stumbled across Isaiah 43:18-19. In that moment, I knew those verse were written for this time in my life. God was leading me into something new. I just had to trust Him to reveal it at the right time.

About ten years later, after trying out several ministries that just didn’t fit, God brought a friend into my life who encouraged me to write, and the moment I put the first words on a piece of paper, I knew writing was that new thing for me.
  


How about your family? Husband? Kiddos? Grandsugars (as Caryl McAdoo calls hers.) Tell us about them, please.

My husband Jim and I have been married almost forty-seven years (how is that even possible). We have two married daughters. Lauren is a teacher, and Jordan works with at risk children. We have five Grandsugars—I love that—ranging in age from four to ten. We stay busy babysitting, attending soccer games, and recitals.
Oh and, I can’t forget Zoe, our Jack Russell Terrorist! She keeps us busy.

When you’re not pounding the keyboard, what occupies your time—other than that gang of precious gifts from God?

I’m grateful to be retired so I can spend time with the Grands. I’m a Frappuccino aficionado and soccer fan extraordinaire. I love watching Atlanta United and English Premier League soccer on TV. Attending a live EPL game is high on my bucket list.

What words of wisdom would you share with newbie writers?

            For years a quote from Harriet Beecher Stowe hung above my desk. “Never give up, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn.”
            So, write, write, write. Perfect your craft.
            Join, join, join. Become involved with professional groups.
Enter, enter, enter. Contests are a wonderful way to gain impartial feedback about your writing. And if you final, your work may be seen by editors and agents.


Please tell our Diamond Mine readers about the genre you write and why you chose that particular one.

I enjoy reading many genres, but I have always loved stories with happy endings. So, I write inspirational romance. When I knew I was being called to do this, I remember thinking, “Why romance? People make fun of romance writers.” And then a still, small Voice said, “Carol, the greatest story of all time is a romance.  The story of a loving Father pursuing the hearts of His people.” So, romance it is!



And I know romance writers everywhere are cheering the words the Spirit whispered in your heart. If I’m reading this interview and think, I’d really like to write, but don’t know how to begin…what would you advise me to do?

Join local professional groups. Writers are some of the most selfless and encouraging people I know. It’s a wonderful way to learn your craft and to network. 



Do you have a verse in the Word God gave to carry you when the going gets tough? Would you please share the verse as well as any other comments you wish with our readers?

There are many, but I’d like to share the verses God gave me that day in the park, Isaiah 43:18-19:
“Forget the former things;
    do not dwell on the past.
See, I am doing a new thing!
    Now it springs up; do you not perceive it?
I am making a way in the wilderness
    and streams in the wasteland.”


God is so good to place gold nuggets in His Word. Words He knew you would find and apply that day. What a Magnificent and Mighty God we serve! I know our readers are already scrolling to find where they can purchase your books, as well as other places they can find your writings.

My most recent release, The Waiting, can be found at:
Links to my other published works can be found by visiting my Amazon author page, or my website:
I currently have another book under contract, but I don’t have a release date for that yet. The working title is Seasons of Hope. It’s a story of forgiveness and hope set during and after the Vietnam war.

What about your WIP (work in progress)?

I currently have 2 WIP’s.
A Christmas novella for Christmas 2019, and a manuscript entitled No Longer Captive that addresses overcoming childhood abuse. Stay tuned for more!

Carol has graciously offered a copy of The Waiting, either ebook or hold-in-your-hands- book that’s signed. All you must do is leave a comment with your email address, and indicate which you’d rather have.

We have enjoyed meeting and getting to know the real Carol James today! Thank you, Carol, and I’m anticipating the release of Seasons of Hope.

Thanks so much for letting me visit today, DiAne.

Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MQC2C1W
Barnes & Noble: https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/books/1130121870?ean=9781522301240
Pelican Book Group: https://pbgrp.link/WaitingCJ


6 comments:

Carol James said...

Thanks again for having me visit today, DiAne.

Erin Lorence said...

Love your journey as a writer--and that you are firm in writing romance! Your shared Bible verse encourages me. Thank you.

Carol James said...

Erin, thanks so much for your encouragement to me!

Lisa Lickel said...

Hi, Carol, so good to see you here. All EXCELLENT advice. And, grandsugars...cuuute! Love your work. Thanks for sharing.

Carol James said...

Lisa, Thanks so much for your kind words! And thanks for stopping by.

DiAne Gates said...

Drum Roll for Carol James book "The Waiting". And the winner is ERIN LORENCE! Erin, let us know which you prefer, an ebook or a signed copy by Carol. Congratulations please email me at dianegates@sbcglobal.net with your choice and email or mailing address. Thank you for commenting!