Wednesday, January 22, 2020

Interview with Author and Agent Linda Glaz




Tell us when you first knew you loved books.
I've always read voraciously, and have had stories swirling in my head as long as I can
remember. (some people... er ... doctors, call that "Voices", I say stories...LOL)


How old were you when you started writing? 
13 and then seriously at 42


How did you first get published?
 I got two novellas published after writing for eighteen years. Yes, you read that right! 18!


What do you write? 
Historic romance, romantic suspense, and suspense


Where do you get your ideas? 
I can't look at almost any situation without seeing a story in it. I see a kid pulling against
the parent's hand, and my mind immediately wanders to trafficking, and I can hear a kid's
voice telling me his or her story...


What is your process? (SOP or outline?) 
Oh, Pantster for sure. I usually have an overall idea of the start and finish, but I let the
characters tell me who they are and where they are actually going. (There's that doctor
again!)


What made you decide to be an agent?
I'd been working for my own agent as an assistant for two years.
Then when an opening came up, he encouraged me to try out for it.
The boss said yes, and woohoo!  Here I am, loving it every single day.


What do you like best about it? Least about it?
What are you looking for now? 
I love to find amazing new authors and new works. I hate the part about saying no.
But that generally happens when folks don't know the industry well and send material out
WAY too soon. I don't really do much literary fiction, mostly genre fiction. And I handle most
genres, just not anything in the spec fiction realm. I don't handle much children's (really
prefer not to) and definitely not anything with graphic sexuality or swearing in it.
I do have quite a few nonfiction projects that are just downright awesome, but folks
need to realize how important platform has become, especially for nonfiction. Though it c
ertainly helps fiction as well.


How did it feel to win ACFW Agent of the Year? 
hahaha AWESOME!!! And to be considered alongside the wonderful agents that I was up
against was such an honor.


Who are some of your clients? How did you find them
Well, you know ONE of my clients VERY well. LOL Kate Breslin, J'nell Ciesielski,
Tom Threadgill, Karen Wingate, and so many other really wonderful folks who stuck
it out until we found them the exact right home. I could list every one of them, here, as they
work so incredibly hard and are constantly writing new material for me to shop around.
I meet most folks at conferences, but I do find a few through emails.


Anything else you want us to know? 
I simply LOVE love love to find new authors (they have my heart) and help them navigate
the industry until we find them a book deal.


Thanks so much, Linda, for joining us here on the
Diamond Mine!
Thanks for having me, Karla. I appreciate it!



4 comments:

Barbara Fox said...

Thanks for writing this interesting interview with my favorite literary agent!

Jackie Layton said...

I met Linda years ago, and she's one of the kindest ladies I know.

I've also had characters share secrets with me, changing the direction of my story. Glad to know I'm not the only one who listens to her characters.

Congratulations on an amazing career, Linda.

Linda Glaz said...

Isn't it crazy when they change the course of your story. Help!! The voices in my head!!!!!

Erma/Amre Cortadino said...

Your "genuineness" comes through this piece, and it's a pleasure to know that's who you are!! Love the "voices" in your head and the fact that you're a pantser. Is there any other way to live? HA!! Blessings, Erma :)