Wednesday, January 29, 2020

Interview with Author Jodie Wolfe!!


Greet author Jodie Wolfe and her new book, Taming Julia!
A gun-toting, breeches-wearing wife wasn't what the minister       ordered!  In 1875, Kansas bachelor Drew Montgomery's sole desire is to serve God, but his congregation's ultimatum that he marry or leave, forces him to advertise for a wife by proxy. 

Jules Walker strides into Drew's life wearing breeches and toting a gun and saddle--more cowboy than bride. After years on the trail, she's not exactly wife material, but she longs for home and family, and will do anything to ensure Drew never discovers what she really is.

Welcome to the Diamond Mine, Jodie! Your new book sounds great! Before I share an excerpt, I'd like to know more about you. What caused you to decide to write books?

When I was in 2nd grade we had to write a poem as a class assignment. I had so much fun doing so, that I soon started writing little stories and making them into books. I was hooked. I knew I wanted to be a writer when I grew up. For me, it's a calling from the Lord.
Do you remember the first story you ever wrote?
Chuckle. Most definitely. It was about my dog Ginger going to the inaugural ball when Jimmy Carter got elected.
I'd love to read that! Sounds adorable!
If you could do absolutely anything right now, what would it be?
Hire a maid to take care of the house so I could get more writing accomplished. :)
Oh, wow! Wouldn't that be great!!
Do you base your characters on aspects of real people or yourself, or are they mostly invented by your imagination?
My characters are a combination of parts of me and also parts of people I know. I'll never tell which part though. :)  Although I'll admit, some are completely made up.
That's pretty much how my characters are, too! Do you write from an outline, or by the seat of your pants?
Both. I usually have a rough outline in my head, but my characters have a tendency to take over the story and lead it where they want to go.
Isn't that such an interesting phenomenon? I remember how surprised I was the first time that happened!
Do you work on one story at a time, or do you juggle stories?
Most times I work on one story at a time, but there are times when I'm writing one and editing a different one.
Is writing a daily habit or do you write in bursts of inspiration?
For a long time, it was a daily habit. I need to get back into that again.
It does help to write every day if you can, though sometimes I need to take a break if a story seems to be a bit stuck.
Do you listen to music or something else when writing, or do you prefer silence?
Most times I prefer having music playing quietly in the background. If I have the radio turned up, I tend to start singing along and distract myself in the process.
I can relate to that! So I stick to instrumental and classical most of the time. It's inspiring without the distraction of lyrics!
What do you like most about being a writer?
I love being able to create characters and a story from nothing. I love to see them and their story come to life.
It's so satisfying! I love the process, too!
What do you like least?
My least favorite is the business side of writing - editing, marketing, etc.
I hear you! I'm especially bad at marketing, but I'm slowly learning some of it. What are you working on now?
I'm working on a book entitled Hannah's Quest that's set in the town where I live now. It's set in the 1870s about a girl who is searching for a place to belong.
I love writing historical fiction, too. I especially love doing the research! Thanks so much for the interview, Jodie!! It's been fun getting to know you better. Now here's an excerpt from Taming Julia for our readers to enjoy:

Matrimony News, February 6, 1875 edition

Minister bachelor aged 27, height 5 feet 10 inches seeks genteel, honest and first-rate homemaker with a desire to serve God. Must be willing to marry by proxy and arrive in Burrton Springs, Kansas by May 1.
~*~

Burrton Springs, Kansas, Saturday, May 1, 1875

            Dear Lord, please don’t let that creature be my new wife. Drew Montgomery swiped the sweat trickling a path down his neck and shoved the new hat back on his head. He squinted, taking in the lone passenger stepping from the stagecoach. At least, he thought it was a woman. He shielded his eyes from the sun, taking in the britches.

            Britches? A gun belt strapped to a slim waist. He gulped. A rifle rested on her shoulder, and she wore a Stetson situated low on her brow. The figure shifted sideways, and Drew groaned, fearing his proxy mail-order bride had arrived by the look of all the curves. He squared his shoulders and crossed the street.

            "Are you Montgomery?" Her coffee-brown gaze seared through him.

            He snapped his gaping mouth shut and nodded. "Y-yes."

            "Name’s Jules Walker." She shoved her hand into his and shook it so hard his teeth clattered. "I reckon, Jules Montgomery since we’re hitched." She waved a slip of paper in his face. "Got the paper here to prove it. So are you my husband or not?"

            Drew caught a whiff of dirt. He coughed and cleared his throat.

            She peered at him as if he were a chicken with one leg.

            "I’m Drew." He managed to choke the words out. "Isn’t your name Julia?"

            She scrunched her face, pushed her Stetson from her head, and allowed it to dangle from the string around her neck. Her brown hair scattered in disarray, slipping from a shoulder-length braid. "I can’t remember the last time I’ve been called Julia. Like I said, name’s Jules."

            "But..." Drew let the word hang between them. No matter. "Where’re your things?"


            "Got my knapsack and that there." She pointed to the top of the stagecoach. He expected to see a trunk, but a saddle rested there instead. What kind of woman brought a saddle into a marriage? What kind of woman showed up dressed like a man? No. No. Something was terribly wrong.

Wow! I'm hooked already! Sounds like a wonderful story! Readers, here's a short bio about Jodie, followed by her links!
Thanks again Jodie, for visiting the Diamond Mine!!

Jodie Wolfe creates novels where hope and quirky meet. She is a member of American Christian Fiction Writers (ACFW), Romance Writers of America (RWA), and COMPEL Training. She's been a semi-finalist and finalist in various writing contests. A former columnist for Home School Enrichment magazine, her articles can be found online at: Crosswalk, Christian Devotions, and Heirloom Audio. She's a contributor and co-founder of Stitches Thru Time blog. When not writing she enjoys spending time with her husband in Pennsylvania, reading, walking, and being a Grammie. Learn more at www.jodiewolfe.com.

Purchase Links for Taming Julia:












4 comments:

Jodie Wolfe said...

Thanks so much for having me here, Nancy.

Pamela said...

I love Jodie's books! Wonderful interview! <3

Jodie Wolfe said...

Aww, thanks, Pamela. :)

Jackie Layton said...

I love that you can remember your first story. It wasn't just a story about a normal day, but the inaugural ball for Jimmy Carter. I'm so impressed.

Taming Julia sounds like a fun story. Thanks so much for sharing, and I hope you top the charts with your story. Congratulations!