Tuesday, January 30, 2024

Interview with Nicole Patrice Thomas

I am so excited to share with you my interview with fellow independent author, Nicole Patrice Thomas! Nicole kindly took the time with me to answer some questions on her author journey. I feel incredibly fortunate to have Nicole as my first interview for The Diamond Mine of Christian Fiction!


Here is a little bit about Nicole in her own words:

The fastest way to see the world and experience adventures without limits is to open a book. Reading has always been my favorite thing to do, it is what I would rather be doing day and night. I am a CUNY graduate holding a BA degree in Advertising and Public Relations but my love has always been the literary world. 

 In 2019 I reached a point in my life where I felt stagnant, I needed direction and a fresh start. As a Christian I take my direction from my heavenly father, so when He woke me at 3am one January morning with the desperate voice of a woman as she ran for her life and the life of her unborn child repeating in my head, I wrote it down and kept writing. That is how the first book in my fantasy trilogy started. The trilogy was completed a year later as well as a children’s book, corresponding coloring book and a spanish translation.

I am a hospitality professional by trade and a poet at heart. My goal is to spread light and love to my readers, to give them characters they can relate to. Characters who find redemption and hope despite betrayals, that they will see themselves reflected in some aspect within the pages and know that regardless of how or where they start in life, the ending can always change.

Let's learn more about Nicole!

I am so happy to have the opportunity to interview you, Nicole! When did you first know you wanted to be an author?

Nicole: I really never planned to be an author. Writing had been a way for me to vent, a way to deal with big emotions as a teenager. I would write poems for family or church events, boyfriends (lol). As I grew older people started saying I should put all my poetry together. I would kind of say “uh huh ok,” smile, and walk away. It was not on my radar, but clearly it was on Gods!

It's amazing when something isn't originally on our minds but God then presses it on our hearts! When you are putting your novels together, how do you overcome writer’s block? 

Nicole: I pray and wait, days or weeks. I found while writing my trilogy, when I tried to push ahead with the plot, I would get stuck. Or when I tried to add a plot that a reader had suggested, I would get stuck. I got into the habit of asking God what the characters were gonna get into next. When it flowed freely, I knew I was on the right path.

That's a good habit to get into. I embarrassingly will admit that though I ask God to guide me in my stories in general, I have not asked him to help me through a plot point. I'm curious to know if you read the genre you write? 

Nicole: Yes I do and much more. I love reading Christian Fiction, fantasy, historical fiction and recently crime thrillers. Reading is my favorite thing to do, always has been. It gives me a much needed escape from reality, and if written well, can even inspire and deepen your relationship with Christ.

Yes! I enjoy a lot of the same genres as you! If you had to do something differently as a child or teenager to become a better writer as an adult, what would you do?

Nicole: I would have pushed harder to take courses in college. I went with my parents' direction for what I should major in. Granted I should have focused on those classes too (lol) but writing has always been my passion. I should have found a way to do both.

It's a tricky balance, but now that you are a published author, what has been your favorite part of the independent publishing journey? 

Nicole: Finding my purpose and seeing God’s hand in it all. So much has happened that I never dreamed of. From classroom visits, to winning awards, to selling out at vendor events. It's been a humbling and exciting journey. I’m definitely looking forward to the future.

What advice would you give to someone who wants to be a Christian Fiction writer?

Nicole: Be true to YOUR calling. If God has given you a story to write, write it the way HE tells you to. And even then, everyone won’t like or understand it. Develop a tough skin and rely on the fact that your Creator created you to create this work of art. Honor Him in it, give Him your best with it, and He will open the doors for you to succeed.

I think that is advice that all of us writing Christian Fiction needs to hear. Do you have a favorite Bible verse or life verse that inspires you?

Nicole: Romans 5:1-5, I have it in my IG bio and part of my email signature. ”We know suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character hope. And hope does not disappoint us.” I’ve dealt with some big challenges, suffered through things I never wanted to. I'm still going through a rough patch, but this reminds me that through the fire I am being refined and will be stronger, better and WHOLE when I come out of it. And then, I’ll write a book about it!

Thanks for sharing that with us Nicole. So what’s next for you? Any current or upcoming projects you’d like to tell us about?

Nicole: I have a finished Children’s devotional I hope to have illustrated in the near future. I also have a Woman's Fiction story I’ve been working on for a long time, hoping to finish that one day.

Amazing! I will link your website and amazon page to this post so that our audience can follow you and get updates on the upcoming projects. One last question I want to end all my interviews with. What do you hope Christian Readers take away from your books?

Nicole: My Trilogy is a coming of age story that deals with identity, purpose, courage, self doubt and fear. Every character has the chance to change the trajectory of their lives. Continue for self gain and power or turn to The One for redemption. Like each of my readers, they have a choice to continue living for themselves or find the light and follow Him. I want my readers to know that no matter how their story starts, they can change the ending with one decision. Whether that decision is for good or evil, well, that's up to them.

I want my children’s books to create a window for parents and educators to talk to the kids about how important it is to listen. So often, with the best of intentions, our kids go off to do something without understanding the consequences. The illustrations and simple language are the perfect opening for this conversation. Available in English and Spanish, there is also an activity book to reinforce the lesson in fun ways.

Thank you so much for joining me today, Nicole, and sharing about yourself and your stories!  

You can check out Nicole's Young Adult Christian Fantasy Trilogy and her Children's book on her amazon author page or on her website





No comments: