Tuesday, January 9, 2024

Visiting with Peggy Trotter

 


Visiting with Peggy Trotter

By G.N. Lewis

I had the pleasure of chatting with Peggy Trotter, author of nine novels, plus one to be published soon, and she is currently writing another.

Peggy married her college sweetheart almost forty years ago. She considers her husband a jewel and says, “He cooks better than me, cleans the house, and fixes various items. This man does everything with the patience of Job, and the poor guy needs tolerance to put up with me.”  The Trotter’s have two married children and four grandchildren. Peggy says, “I call these four grandchildren my rays of sunshine, and number five will soon be here.”

Peggy loves cats and she feeds five and a half. Five are hers, but a stray tom stops by every day for food.  She says, “My better half says, ‘No more cats!’”  Peggy laughs and admits she can’t help feeding a little starving kitten if one shows up at her house.

A perfect day for her would be sitting on the back porch of a beach house with her entire family gathered around, eating cheesecake, and drinking Code Red.

Now for the interview.

Q. What other jobs have you held or do you hold besides writing?

I taught for 25 years, mostly at second grade. I have also worked in a library and at a non-profit that benefits kids in foster care.

Q. When did you know you wanted to write?

In first or second grade we had a writing contest. It was so basic, just a quick story and you had to fold the paper and make a cover on the front. The winners were hung on the window of the local attorney’s office. I think I came in third, but I’ll never forget standing there in front of that window, holding my Mom’s hand, and seeing my “creation” published for the world to see. That was the very first seed planted in my writing obsession.

Q. You write Christian Romance. What was the inspiration for your genre?

I read romances in junior high and high school and became fascinated. But the stories became less wholesome and after becoming a Christian, I just didn’t want to read that type of novel. Then, one day at the library, I discovered Christian Fiction! Since I’d always dreamed of becoming a writer, it wasn’t long before I knew the genre I wanted to write.

Q. How hard was it to find a publisher?

Well, I found my first one through word of mouth. I heard this small publisher was accepting manuscripts so I sent in a proposal. But now, I self-publish, which I love.

Q. What’s new with your writing? Anything in progress?

I just released the second book of the Up From the Miry Clay Series entitled Wild Daisies Bloom. This series follows women who left their bawdy occupations of being “soiled doves,” embraced a new life through Christ, and embarked on finding their happily-ever-afters. Now, I’ll be finishing up their third one in the series, Flawed Roses Flourish, set to release later this year.

Q. Authors need reviews. Do your readers respond with reviews for you? If so, what was the best one you have ever had?

 Getting reviews is very difficult. As a matter of fact, there’s very little you can do to build them up other than reminding readers how important they are to us as authors. But I especially loved one review by a reader who claimed she didn’t get her laundry done because she couldn’t put my book down, LOL. I’ve been there—so enraptured by a book that everything stops until you finish it! Those are the books you never forget.

Q. What is the most difficult thing about writing?

Hands down, marketing. I love the writing, love the work-at-home thing, and tolerate editing, but marketing is this unknown nebula of trying to get your book discovered by interested readers.

Q. Do any of your books contain events from your real life?

Yes, some of my books contain actual occurrences from my family life and even my husband’s family life. One book has a character, as a child, being forced to lick a shoe. It really happened, but I won’t tell you what family it came from, LOL. One Christmas scene was almost true to a T. A couple of characters are loosely based on some friends and family members.

Q. Tell me about your latest book.

On Amazon

Wild Daisies Bloom focuses on Tyne Ciders and her illegitimate child, Daisy who is quite a handful but more a blessing in so many ways. Tyne, (long I sound like in Clementyne, which is her full name) breaks free from the saloon where she works and pretends to be a mail-order bride, hoping to hide from her sordid and criminal past. In the long run, they become homeless, and she must marry to provide a roof over their head. Just as she’s trying to figure out her new husband, she’s arrested for murder. Here’s the blurb to tell you more:

Tyne Ciders is a widowed, single mother. At least that’s her story when she arrives in town as a mail-order bride. But when she learns the arrangement was only a part of a newspaper scam, Tyne is stuck once again without a cover for her sordid past. With no marriage in her future, no job, and no money, she and her small daughter are forced to hole up in a nearby barn—the very barn of the man who’d witnessed her appalling encounter with the frightening old coot she’d thought to marry.

Agony is Zephaniah Rowley closest friend. He’s lost everything that mattered to him. His wife, his children. Now, living as a hermit, every day is a horrible cesspool of penance for his own selfishness and guilt. So when he encounters a needy woman and her charming child on the dusty road, he makes a quick bee-line to drop them off at the nearest boarding house. He can’t afford to let his heart get involved. Or what’s left of it. Yet, he finds them living penniless in his barn, and he rashly offers a permanent solution. One that will change everything. For better or…for worse…


Visit Peggy at these links:


peggytrotter.com

peggytrotter.blogspot.com

diamondsinfiction.blogspot.com

Twitter:  https://twitter.com/Peggy_Trotter

Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/PeggyTrotterAuthor

Goodreads:  https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/13778873.Peggy_Trotter

Amazon Author’s Profile Page:  amazon.com/author/peggytrotter.com

Instagram:  https://www.instagram.com/peggy_trotter_author/

Pinterest:  https://www.pinterest.com/PeggyTrotterAuthor/

LinkedIn:  https://www.linkedin.com/in/peggy-trotter-44a29b95/

Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/13778873.Peggy_Trotter

BookBubhttps://www.bookbub.com/authors/peggy-trotter


Thanks, Peggy for visiting with me. Your book, Wild Daisies Bloom sounds fascinating, and I look forward to reading it. I'll leave a review!


Leave a comment and email for Peggy's book giveaway of Wild Daisies Bloom or leave your information on our contact form.

2 comments:

tambramiddleton@gmail.com said...

I have all of Peggy's books and have loved each one. They are hard to put down and look forward to the next book in each series.

Sharon Dillon said...

srayedillon53@gmail.com
I love Peggy's books. I worked with her in pre-school and attended church at the same church. I've read all her books and have been enthralled with them. The books helped me get through several recoveries from surgeries. I'm looking very forward to getting the new book. Keep up the good work, Peggy!