Wednesday, March 20, 2024

Interview with Catherine Brusk

I am thrilled to introduce The Diamond Mine of Christian Fiction community to fellow independent author Catherine Brusk! Catherine sat down with me and took the time to answer some of my questions on her author journey. I am excited to share with you my interview with Catherine. 


Here is a little bit about Catherine:

Catherine is a writer of realistic, gritty Christian fiction/romance. You can find her "Finding Faith" series and "A DGI Romance" Collection available on Amazon and Kindle Unlimited. Catherine has a bachelor's degree in Communications with an emphasis on film. She loves everything that includes a story and thinks humor and dessert are some of God's best blessings in life.

Let's learn more about Catherine!

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to interview you Catherine! When did you first know you wanted to be an author? 

Catherine: That’s a hard question for me. Writing stories began for me in junior high as a source of entertainment. It changed in high school to writing in a journal to record goals, dreams, and prayers. Then I hit an incredibly painful part of my life during college. I can remember going to write in my journal what had happened and thinking, “I don’t want to remember this.” I put my pen down and I didn’t pick it up again for years. When I finally did, my writing had become a combined mess of entertainment, pain, questions, and, ultimately … hope. It wasn’t until a close friend read my work that even the thought of publishing entered my mind. So really, it was God speaking through her that finally pulled me into that thought process, and by then I was working on the third book in my first series. It’s been a journey of ups and downs and crazy spiral circles ever since! 

It's crazy how God can use our painful circumstances to lead us to his purpose. Is there anything you wish you did when you were younger to become a better writer as an adult? 

Catherine: To be flat out honest, I wish I had taken some graphic design classes in college. Marketing as an indie author is no joke! 

I feel this DEEPLY. I always say we have to be our own enterprise as indie authors ...meaning we own and lead EVERY DEPARTMENT. It can be exhausting! Is there any writing advice you've been given that stuck with you?

Catherine: Here’s the thing about writing advice: just because it works for some people, doesn’t mean it’s going to work for you. We’re all different people who are layer after layer of complications and opinions and beliefs. So ultimately, I take it all with a grain of salt. I don’t write every day. I don’t read every day. I certainly don’t market my work every day. I do what I can and let God take care of the rest. The one unique thing that I do that I specifically think helped my writing immensely though, was actually taking acting classes in college. I learned all about body language and how to get into someone else’s head and how to ask questions to create characters. Those classes have been a Godsend in my life when it comes to my writing. So, that’s my own advice to give: if you get a chance, take some acting classes!

This will also be helpful If your books are ever turned into a series or film. You'll know what to look for in the lead actors! ;) Do you have a special place you like to write?

Catherine: I will write anywhere. In fact, my book What Hope Washed Up was written completely on my phone in the Google Docs app, due to the busyness of life at the time. A girl’s gotta do what a girl’s gotta do! However, my absolute favorite spot to write will probably always be the corner of a coffee shop. Caffeine, yummy snacks, earbuds so I’m not too distracted by the noise, and people-watching for when I get stuck are always a good thing. Plus, it means I won’t be distracted with chores at home. 

WOW. I am so impressed you wrote an entire book off your phone!! I'm curious what has been your favorite part of the independent publishing journey?

Catherine: Hearing from my readers. Hands down, that’s my favorite part. Second favorite part is working with my cover designers. They both have been great friends of mine and the process was so much fun and resulted in deeper friendships. 




I would have to agree, hearing from fans who have been touched by your work is really something special. And your covers are so beautiful! Okay let's throw a fun question out there. Do you have a favorite writing snack or drink (or both)?

Catherine: I am a Diet Wild Cherry Pepsi girl – especially out of an ice-cold two liter. I tend not to snack very much while actually writing since my fingers are busy typing, but I’ll never turn down good popcorn and a cheese stick, either.

I shamefully love white cheddar cheetos which is the ABSOLUTE WORSE snack for a writer. My keyboard becomes a disaster. Were there any challenges you faced when publishing your first book?
Catherine: Goodness, yes! I am not the most tech-savvy person in the world and, honestly, if it weren’t for my husband, I would have no books released! The formatting, though getting easier with each book, always presents some sort of issue which almost always requires a line-by-line indent check. I will say after having six books under my belt now, it has gone from something that had me in absolute panicked tears with the first book, to, with the most recent book, something that only made me grumble and roll my eyes before getting down to business. Yay, growth!

Yes! For my ebooks I always mess up the page breaks somehow when I upload to KDP. It is the most frustrating thing. Since this is the Diamond Mine of Christian Fiction, what advice would you give to someone who wants to be a Christian Fiction writer? 

Catherine: I have a two-fold answer. First, study your Bible. Don’t just read it, study it. Research it. Second, remember that you’re writing for the masses. You’re writing for those who want to know the Greek and the Hebrew but also to the new baby Christians. One thing I do is I have an atheist read my work. Her responses are invaluable to making sure anything too “Christianese” is explained properly.

That's incredible. On that same note, do you have a favorite Bible verse that inspires you?

Catherine: I absolutely love the verses in 2 Corinithians 12:9-10 But he said to me, ‘My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is perfected in weakness.’ Therefore, I will most gladly boast all the more about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may reside in me. So I take pleasure in weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and in difficulties, for the sake of Christ. For when I am weak, then I am strong.”

We have the same favorite verse!! Catherine thank you so much for taking the time to speak with me today! What’s next for you? Any current or upcoming projects you’d like to tell us about? 

Catherine: So many projects going and so many more in my head! I am in a busy season in my personal life, with the ages of my kids, so it’s extremely hard to make promises of the “wheres” and “whens” of the future, but eventually books two and three of A DGI Romance Collection will make their own Christmas debuts. Then I have two other standalone projects currently competing for attention on top of that. Slowly but surely, and of course the ultimate thanks to my readers for their understanding and patience! 

One last question! What do you hope Christian Readers take away from your books?
Catherine: I hope they take away questions that only God can answer for them. I hope they take away inspiration to care about the injustices of the world. I hope they take away a newfound courage to discuss topics rarely talked about in the church, and I hope they take away hope in a God who is always faithful, even when they can’t see it.

You can learn more about Catherine and find links to her books and to her social channels on her website: www.catherinebrusk.com


1 comment:

Aviator said...

Your blog is a treasure trove of knowledge, and I appreciate it. Connect with Aviator influencers and experts through our blog.