Wednesday, April 3, 2024

Visiting with Christian Author Suzie Waltner!

Welcome, readers! Today, we have the pleasure of getting to know the talented Christian author, Suzie Waltner. So, grab a cozy seat, your favorite beverage, and join us for this delightful conversation!

Can you tell us a little bit about yourself, Suzie?

Bio: Suzie Waltner is a lover of fiction and first and foremost, a reader. Until her second year of college, her life plan was to become a veterinarian. A fainting spell while watching a surgery performed on a sheep changed that plan. After twenty-two years in the corporate world, Suzie now helps other authors finetune their work as an editor. She resides in a suburb of Nashville, TN and is a member of American Christian Fiction Writers as well as Faith, Hope, and Love Christian Writers. Her book, Midnight Blue, is an Angel Award Winner as well as a finalist for the Holt Medallion and Maggie Award.

Let's start with a couple fun ice-breakers! Do you have a preferred writing implement?

I am particular about which pens I write with. My favorite are the Pilot G2 gels pens (in any color but black).

That IS very particular. Love it! How about your go-to writing snack or drink?

I alternate between water and diet coke during the day. I don't allow myself a diet coke until I've drank at least double the ounces of water.

Good girl. :) Okay, what is your most embarrassing or funny author moment that you're willing to share?

I'll go with embarrassing. When I started writing about twelve years ago, I did everything wrong. I hadn't heard about ACFW (American Christian Fiction Writers) and didn't know there were rules to writing a good book. The first year I did NaNoWriMo, I was so excited I had finished a book, I put it out there. Y'all, that book is horrible. Point of view changes, most chapters are only a page or a page and a half long, there's even an incomplete sentence (like, the second half of the sentence is just missing incomplete) in the book.

Rewriting and republishing that book is on my to-do list (which gets fuller and fuller every year!)

I understand that! Aside from writing, do you have any other hobbies or creative outlets that you enjoy pursuing?

I get on creative kicks every now and then. I've taught myself to sew book cozies (because I can do straight lines but nothing more complicated), make candles (which gets expensive), and lip balm. The lip balm is the only one of those that I still make a few times a year.

Oh, fun! Sounds like something I'd enjoy trying myself. Can you share a specific instance where you felt God's guidance or provision in your writing journey?

While this isn't specific to my writing journey, it is adjacent to it. Last November, I learned that my division of a bank was shutting down and we were all being laid off. I have worked for this company for the past twenty-two years. I was stunned at first, but as I started praying about it, I realized this was something I needed. I hadn't been truly happy with my job for several years but because it was comfortable, I stuck around. When that job safety net was gone, I decided I didn't want to find another job in finance. I wanted to do something I was passionate about.

My editor for the Love in Color series was amazing and taught me so much through the four books we worked on together. I want to be able to do that for others. So, as of March 1 of this year, I have started a freelance editing business, and God has already been so faithful, connecting me with people and bringing me work and opportunities I couldn't have imagined when I got the news of losing my job last fall.

Awesome! Sounds like it's a NEW CHAPTER for you! ;) Do you have a favorite/life verse? Why is that one meaningful to you?

My favorite verse (one that has become my life verse in the past year) is Micah 7:7: But as for me, I will look to the Lord; I will wait for the God of my salvation; my God will hear me.

Patience is not one of my virtues, so waiting is hard. This verse reminds me that even in the waiting, God hears me. He will answer my prayers and pleas in his perfect time.

I love that verse. It's a beautiful encouragement. Can you give any hints about what you're working on now?

On April 23, Ever Green, which is the last book in my current series, releases. Andi was the hardest character in this series for me to figure out, but once she started talking to me, I realized how much pain she carried with her. I don't have the cover for the book yet, but you can see some images of Andi and Noah and get a sneak peek at the opening scene here.

I am currently writing the first book in a new series about a woman who strives to be everything to everyone.

Oh, that's just a couple weeks away! How exciting! Tell us about your recent release, Yellow Roses!

Mia Mason has always strived to meet others' expectations. Her adoptive family, her fans, even her friends in the band. She works hard at pleasing everyone because she's never felt like she truly belongs. After connecting with a cousin through a DNA website, she plans a covert road trip, hoping to find her biological mother and the answers she desires. During a music awards ceremony, Levi Sinclair receives two messages that ruin his night. One is a breakup text from his girlfriend of six weeks. The other is from the father who abandoned his family seventeen years ago and wants to reconnect. Then Levi discovers Mia's secret mission and insists on going along to keep her safe. As the two friends pass the miles and see the sights, Levi's true feelings for Mia rise to the surface. And her journey to the past might open the door to their future. Family issues and a shared career are just two of the hurdles they'll have to jump if they want a shot at love. Could the end of the road lead these friends to a new beginning?

You can find Yellow Roses on Amazon and Goodreads.

It's been such a pleasure chatting with you, Suzie! Where can readers connect with you and find more of your work?

Website: https://suziewaltner.com/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SuzieWaltnerWrites/
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/suziewaltner/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/nashpredsfan
Bookbub: https://www.bookbub.com/authors/suzie-waltner

And don't forget to sign up for Suzie's newsletter and get a free novella: https://suziewaltner.com/join-my-newsletter/

Thanks for joining us today, friends! Until next time, happy reading!

No comments: