Saturday, September 26, 2026

THRILLERS AND TRUE CRIME BY AMY SAN MIGUEL

Amy San Miguel is a friend of mine from American Christian Fiction Writers, and I have come to love her curiosity in the world of thrillers and the world of true crime. I want to introduce you to my Nebraska friend!

 

Hi, Amy! What on earth took you to Nebraska? (It is one of the great states, but I’m still asking, lol) And please tell us you have adventures there. I mean, it does go beyond corn. Right?

I grew up in Nebraska and have been here most of my life. Sadly, for the most part, it’s just corn. However, I have been to Carhenge in Western Nebraska. That was pretty interesting. A bunch of old cars set up like Stonehenge. I’ve thought of setting a book there, but it’s in an open field, so I’m not sure how I’d work it in. Not a lot of people to include in a cast of characters. J

Oooh. Carhenge. What a place to explore for car lovers! And I totally think you could set one of your spine-tinglers there. A field could be an interesting and scary story setting…

I really love corn, by the way. 

Wait, you have cats and a dog? I want to hear stories. Please.

We have two cats, Oliver and Kassie Elizabeth, and a French bulldog named Ripley. If I let Ripley outside to go to the bathroom, and she decides I’m taking too long to let her back inside, she sits at the back door and shrieks like a human being in the process of dying. She’s frightened people when we’ve taken her to stay with friends. The sounds she makes are otherworldly.

This is hilarious. Now you’ve gotta make a recording of that otherworldly sound to share on your social media. 

You have already shared this book… endorsed by Jaime Jo Wright! Amazing!

 

I mean, whoa! The Purple Nightgown—a series of history, romance, true crime stories. Do tell!

I’ve always loved historical true crime, so when I found out Barbour was putting together the True Colors series, I was excited for the opportunity to dig deeper into a crime I’d heard about years earlier. Personally, I think the story of Linda Hazard and her ‘health spa’ would make an interesting movie. What a twisted woman!

A health spa with a twisted woman? Yeah, you can go without me. ;)

How did you get drawn to true crime writing? And thriller writing?

I’ve wanted to write since I was a kid but never thought it would actually happen. About ten years ago, a friend of mine told me she was writing a book. Romance, I believe. We started writing together, holding each other accountable, and sharing our stories. I started writing a romance novel, but the further into the story I dived, the more I realized someone needed to be murdered or at least deal with a home invasion. That was when I realized I fit into the thriller mold better than the romance mold. I needed dead bodies and crime!

There is a lot of darkness in the world. To create characters who are forced to face it—what a great place for your writing to land.

How is your faith a part of your writing journey, and your writing itself?

My faith plays a big part in my writing and the journey to publication. As far as the journey goes, I’ve had highs and lows. Long stretches between interest with publishers have brought some discouragement, but I can look back and see God’s hand and His kindness—even during the times where I didn’t see movement.

As I write, many of the faith arcs my characters struggle through mirror the things I’m learning in my own life. Every time I go back to edit a story, I’m amazed at the ways God grows me and teaches me more about Him through the eyes of my fictional characters.

Amen and amen! Funny how writing does exactly that, even when we don’t mean for it to. God is always at work in our lives.

What are you working on right now? Just share a taste of where your creativity led you, please?

Right now, I’m working on a domestic thriller. It includes more psychological than physical danger which was a fun challenge. The working title is: The Other Mother. Spiritually, it delves into what faith and love really look like. The main question surrounding the suspense is “What would happen if the woman who helped you build your family suddenly decided to take your place in it?”

That sends chills and shivers. Love it! I’m praying for you, your writing, and for the perfect place for this particular story. 

Hey, y'all, check out Amy at her website! https://www.adlawrencebooks.com/ or on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/amysanmiguelauthor/

And she has offered a free ebook of her Purple Nightgown book…comment below to get put in the drawing!


No comments: