Wednesday, November 2, 2022

Interview with author Kathleen Neely!!

Today we welcome author Kathleen Neely to the Diamond Mine, and are featuring her book, Though the Mountains Be Shaken. 
Let's take a look!

They put every vow to the test.

Kate Dunbar puts 100% into everything she does--a career as a literary agent, a mom of preschool twins, and the wife of Ryan Dunbar, a criminal defense attorney.
She appears to have the perfect life, until it begins to crumble piece by piece--her marriage, her health, and her job.
Kate blames emotional stress for her fatigue, stiffness and tremors. As symptoms begin to increase, Kate finds herself unable to control her body's erratic movements. At the same time that she and Ryan separate, she receives a diagnosis of Parkinson's disease. Determined not to tell her estranged husband of her diagnosis, Kate faces an unknown future and the possibility that she'll face it as a single mother.

As glimmers of hope for a restored marriage begin to surface, more upheavals await them. A case that Ryan is defending endangers his family and his career. 
Kate and Ryan both harbor secrets that threaten their marriage. Can they mend their broken family? How will Parkinson's affect their future? For better or worse, for richer or poorer, in sickness and in health, forsaking all others. Every vow they spoke eight years ago is being tested. Can they survive the storm?

Sounds like a great story, Kathleen. How did you get your idea for it?

Nancy, thank you for the chance to share my story with your readers. Though the Mountains be Shaken is a contemporary setting that mirrors many stressed and busy families today. Kate Dunbar juggles a full-time job as a literary agent, preschool twins, and a troubled marriage to attorney Ryan Dunbar. Everything she's balancing falls apart when her husband leaves her and then she's diagnosed with Parkinson's disease. Kate decides not to tell him until their marriage heals without pity.
Ever since I was diagnosed with Parkinson's ten years ago, I have wanted to write a story about a character with PD. Kate's journey with this neuro-degenerative disease mirrors mine, though hers progressed more rapidly. Like Kate, I initially dismissed the impact that it would have on my life; and like Kate, truth came like a punch in the gut.
Readers will encounter a few twists and some courtroom scenes as Ryan's career intersects with his private life, putting his family in danger. Both Ryan and Kate hold secrets that threaten the health of the marriage. My dilemma as an author was how to arrive at a satisfactory ending without diminishing the seriousness of Parkinson's. I hope I accomplished that.

I'm sure you did! Chronic disease is something that is difficult to understand for people who haven't faced it, and stories like yours are important and needful. Thank you for tackling a challenging subject. Can you tell us a bit about yourself?

Yes. I worked for years as a teacher and a school administrator. When Parkinson's led me to retirement a little earlier than planned, I pulled out my long-neglected half-written manuscript that eventually became a novel. That novel, The Least of These, won first place in the Fresh Voices category in a writing contest through Almost an Author. 

That's wonderful that you got recognized so early on! I'm always curious about a writer's work habits. Do you write out your ideas in an outline, or just write spontaneously?

I'm often asked where I get my ideas. I think being an avid reader spurs a natural tendency to create stories; to live out scenes in my mind. I don't outline, but always know the beginning and the ending. The details emerge as the story takes shape, and the characters carve out its path, often surprising me.

I love the way that happens! So many writers have told me that they also experience those times of surprise with their characters.
Do your books have a central theme?

My work is categorized as Christian fiction, but I don't write fiction with an agenda to proselytize. A forced agenda can weaken a story. Instead, I attempt to weave a message of faith where it naturally fits. Above all, I want my words to honor Christ.

That's a beautiful motivation, Kathleen. I'm glad the world has authors like you! What are you working on now?

I'm currently working on a novel involving an art heist and three Southern ladies running a craft shop consignment store in South Carolina's low country. How in the world does an authentic Monet end up in their display? 
Subscribe to my website at www.KathleenNeely.com, where you can read about my novels and hear updates about sales and releases, and also find out how that Monet ended up in the craft shop!

Sounds great!! Kathleen, thanks so much for the interview! I loved it!
Readers, here is a bit more about Kathleen, along with her social and purchase links!

Kathleen Neely is a retired elementary principle, and enjoys time with family, visiting her two grandsons, traveling, and reading.
she is the author of The Street Singer, Beauty for Ashes, The Least of These, Arms of Freedom, and In Search of True North.
Kathleen won second place in a short story contest through ACFW-VA for her short story "The Missing Piece"and an honorable mention for her story "The Dance". Both were published in a Christmas Anthology. Her novel, The Least of These, was awarded first place in the 2015 Fresh Voices contest through Almost an Author. She has numerous devotions published through Christian Devotions.
Kathleen continues to speak to students about writing and publication processes. She is a member of American Christian Fiction Writers.
Order your copy of Though the Mountains be Shaken:
https://www.amazon.com/Though-Mountains-Shaken-Kathleen-Neely/dp/1736650319/ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1667314439&sr=8-3

And here are Kathleen's links:

Website – www.KathleenNeely.com

Facebook – www.facebook.com/kathy.neely.98

Twitter - https://twitter.com/NeelyKneely3628

Instagram – www.Instagram.com/KathleenNeelyAuthor

Goodreads - https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/14602744.Kathleen_Neely

BookBub -- Kathleen Neely Books - BookBub



 


 










 





No comments: