Wednesday, November 9, 2022

Welcome Susan G. Mathis, author of Rachel's Reunion

It is my joy and honor to introduce you to Susan G Mathis, author of Rachel's Reunion.


Susan is an international award-winning, multi-published author of stories set in the beautiful Thousand Islands, her childhood stomping ground in upstate NY. Susan has been published more than twenty-five times in full-length novels, novellas, and non-fiction books. She has nine in her fiction line including, The Fabric of Hope: An Irish Family Legacy, Christmas Charity, Katelyn’s Choice, Devyn’s Dilemma, Sara’s Surprise, Reagan’s Reward, Colleen’s Confession, and Peyton’s Promise. Rachel’s Reunion releases October 20, 2022. She just finished writing book ten, Mary’s Moment. Her book awards include two Illumination Book Awards, three American Fiction Awards, two Indie Excellence Book Awards, and two Literary Titan Book Awards. Reagan’s Reward is a Selah Awards finalist. 

Susan is also a published author of two premarital books, two children’s picture books, stories in a dozen compilations, and hundreds of published articles. Susan makes her home in Colorado Springs and enjoys traveling around the world but returns each summer to enjoy the Thousand Islands. Visit www.SusanGMathis.com/fiction for more.

You can connect with her through:

Website | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | Pinterest | Goodreads


Now for the fun stuff! I have to admit I am partial to my Fast Five. :-) So settle in as I hit Susan with rapid-fire.





CC: Milk or Dark Chocolate?

SGM: Both, especially with nuts.

CC: Print or E-book?

SGM: Both! Love paper but traveling with my iPad mini is rad.

CC: Cat or Dog Person?

SGM: Dog. I have an 8-pound Maltichon, Lucy.

Morning Person or Night Owl?

SGM: Morning, definitely!

CC: Spring, Summer, Fall, or Winter?

SGM: All four for different reasons, but I guess summer is best.

CC: Each season does have its own merit! Now for a couple of fun personal questions:

What is your favorite BIble verse?

SGM: Jeremiah 29:11 "For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." I love this promise! All eleven of my books have this as their primary theme. Hope and a future...in Him!


CC: I love that verse, especially when you take into consideration the context of what Israel is going to face. Though difficult times lay ahead, we can rest assured that God's plans are for our good and His glory.


What are you reading right now?

SGM: A wonderful manuscript by Jamie H. Mansfield that will come out next year. Endorsing us a masterpiece is an honor and blessing.

CC: That is so neat to be able to endorse a book.


What do you like to do when you aren't reading or writing?


SMG: Swim, hike, travel, and spend time with family and friends.


CC: Hiking is such a blessing! Getting out in nature is really rejuvenating to the soul.

When did you first realize that you wanted to be a writer?

SMG: I’ve been teaching writing, editing, or writing most of my life. But before I jumped into the fiction world, I served as the Founding Editor of Thriving Family magazine and the former Editor/Editorial Director of twelve Focus on the Family publications. My first two published books were nonfiction. Countdown for Couples: Preparing for the Adventure of Marriage with an Indonesian and Spanish version, and The ReMarriage Adventure: Preparing for a Life of Love and Happiness, have helped thousands of couples prepare for marriage. 

I’m also the author of two picture books, Lexie’s Adventure in Kenya and Princess Madison’s Rainbow Adventure. Moreover, I’m published in various book compilations including five Chicken Soup for the Soul books, Ready to Wed, Supporting Families Through Meaningful Ministry, The Christian Leadership Experience, and Spiritual Mentoring of Teens. I’ve also several hundred magazine and newsletter articles. 

But when I started writing fiction… I was hooked! My imagination has become my playground and the characters my friends. I love the challenge, the freedom, the fun of creating with the Creator. But…I only tell that to those who love fiction—or they might lock me up as a crazy person. Smiles.

CC: Authors really are the only people that can say they hear voices in their heads and not be locked up. LOL

What would you say is your interesting writing quirk?

SMG: I love writing with a cup of tea and a warm, scented candle nearby.


CC: I'm a pot of tea girl myself, and candles create a wonderful ambiance.


What is your work schedule like when you're writing?


SMG: Since I'm a morning person, I generally spend three to five hours plugging away, depending upon the project, deadlines, etc. I spend the first few minutes answering emails, checking on my social media pages, and planning my day. But then I buckle down and write, write, write! When I’ve exhausted my creativity, I take a break and move on to the editorial aspects of writing.


CC: That's a great way to schedule your day. I admit mine is a little more chaotic than that at this point in my life.


What has been the biggest challenge for you on your writing journey?

SMG: Between the subplots of early 1900s photography and meeting the famous people who actually stayed at the New Frontenac, there was a lot of research. But hey, I love to research, so it was fun.


CC: Research can sure be a pain, and that seems like a good segway into talking about your newest release, Rachel's Reunion.


Summer 1904

Rachel Kelly serves the most elite patrons at the famed New Frontenac Hotel on Round Island. She has wondered about her old beau, Mitch, for nearly two years, ever since he toyed with her affections while on Calumet Island, then left for the high seas and taken her heart with him. Now he’s back, opening the wound she thought was healed. 

Mitch O’Keefe returns to claim his bride but finds it more difficult than he thought. Returning to work at the very place he hated, he becomes captain of a New Frontenac Hotel touring yacht, just to be near Rachel. But his attempts to win her back are thwarted, especially when a wealthy patron seeks her attention. Who will Rachel choose?

Purchase it here.

CC: So let's talk about Rachel's Reunion. What kind of research did you do for it?

SMG: I grew up just twenty minutes from the Thousand Islands—the setting for all my stories—in upstate New York. Actually, half of the 1,864 islands are in NY and the other half in Ontario, Canada. So, I spent every summer and more exploring the beautiful region. I’ve stayed on several of the islands and camped and rented cottages there. So, after I wrote my debut novel about the largest island, Wolfe Island, I was hooked. 

There are so many fascinating stories to tell. Now, I take an annual Thousand Islands Book Tour to the islands where I meet with fans, friends, and family. I’ve stayed in Singer Castle, Casa Blanca, and other places that are the settings of my book. I’ve talked with the owners of the islands, local historians, and researched in the Thousand Islands archives. 

All my novels are based on a specific place in the Thousand Islands and are the true stories of the owners of that island. So, my plot is generally true. Then I overlay the storyline of the fictional servants to create the story. This makes my stories a bit more challenging, but I love a good challenge.


CC: That is really fascinating. It helps when you are able to visit where your stories take place. What was some of your favorite research for it?

SMG: I enjoyed learning about the Kodak Brownie Camera and all the amazing folks who visited the Frontenac Hotel on Round Island including William Howard Taft and the Belmonts.

CC: In Cincinnati, we have the Taft Museum where I believe it was a relative, not actually him, who ended up turning their house into essentially an art museum. I bet it really was interesting to see the ritzy aspect of the Gilded Age.

Which character was the most fun to create? What makes them fun?

SMG: I love Rachel and Mitch. My characters become so real to me; they become friends. Smiles.

CC: Our characters really do become real in our heads.

How did this story affect you as you wrote it? Did God teach you anything through the writing?


SMG: Every book I write is a journey of healing and hope, and this one was no different. My faith walk is reflected in each of my stories to one degree or another. Rachel’s Reunion also explores forgiveness for someone who hurt you.


CC: Forgiveness is definitely one of the harder things we are called as Christians to do. What do you hope readers will take away from your story?


SMG: All eleven of my Thousand Islands’ stories have hope as the central theme. Hope for a better future. Hope for love. Hope for healing. Rachel’s Reunion also focuses on healing broken hearts and forgiving those who hurt you.


CC: That is a much needed message for sure. Thank you so much for joining me today. As my final question, I have my usual "Fun Question".

If you could travel anywhere without worry about cost, where would you travel?

SMG: Ahhh...every New Year I update my bucket list. At the moment that includes, Holland, Tahiti, a Scandinavian cruise, and maybe a European river cruise. I've been to 40 countries so far and love exploring the world.


CC: Wow! That is exciting. I've only been to Canada, the Caribbean, and Mexico--all before passports were required to visit them. One day I hope to travel more extensively.


Readers, thank you for joining us for this interview. I hope you'll take a few minutes to go check out Rachel's Reunion.

No comments: