Wednesday, March 22, 2023

Interview with Author Susan Mathis!!

 

Today we welcome author Susan Mathis to The Diamond Mine! She has a wonderful story to offer, and we get to take a closer look at it today! It's called Mary's Moment. Let's have a peek at it now:

Summer 1912

Thousand Island Park’s switchboard operator ​Mary Flynn is christened the community heroine for her quick action that saves dozens of homes from a terrible fire. Less than a month later, when another disastrous fire rages through the Park, Mary loses her memory as she risks her life in a neighbor's burning cottage. Will she remember the truth of who she is or be deceived by a treacherous scoundrel?

Widowed fireman George Flannigan is enamored by the brave raven-haired lass and takes every opportunity to connect with Mary. But he has hidden griefs of his own that cause him great heartache. When George can’t stop the destructive Columbian Hotel fire from eradicating more than a hundred businesses and homes, he is distraught. Yet George’s greater concern is Mary. Will she remember their budding relationship or be forever lost to him?       

WOW!! Sounds like a great story, Susan! Now it's time to get to know you better and ask you a few questions about you and your writing.

So, how did you get your idea for this story?

My mother, Mary, inspired this story.
When she was a young woman, she spent two summers serving her aunts in the Thousand Islands Park. Every summer she'd take me there for an ice cream at the Guzzle and tell me stories of her time in the Park. So, it was always my desire to write about it.
When I began researching and discovered the tragedy of the three 1912 fires that nearly destroyed the Park, I had my story, especially because my mom nearly lost her father in a barn fire when she was fourteen.

Researching is one of my favorite parts when writing historical novels.
What made you decide to be a writer?

I taught Language Arts to middle-schoolers for nine years, wrote curriculum for ACSI for five years, then became editor/editorial director at Focus on the Family for nearly a dozen years. So, I've had over 1,000 articles, etc, published. I guess I've always had that desire, but when I started writing fiction, I was hooked!

I know what you mean! What was your first story?

My debut novel, The Fabric of Hope:An Irish Family Legacy, is loosely based on my family story. I traveled to Ireland, Wolfe Island, and the St. Lawrence River for research and got to read it to my 94 year-old mother before she went to heaven.

How wonderful that you got to share that with her!
I'm curious: Do you write from an outline, or just from inspiration, or both?

Both. I develop a general outline, but often my characters have a mind of their own. I've even argued with them! Smiles.

I hear you on that!
Do you have any underlying themes that you want your readers to come away with?

All eleven of my Thousand Islands' stories have hope as the central theme. Hope for a better future. Hope for love. Hope for healing. Mary's Moment also focuses on healing broken hearts, forgiving those who hurt you, and embracing God's redemption.

Wonderful messages! Do your characters share any traits with you or someone you know?

Mary is my mom's name and has some of her characteristics. George is my father's name, whom I never met because he died three months before I was born.

I'm sorry your family had to go through that at such a time.

As writers, we become attached to the characters we create, Do your characters ever surprise you?

Goodness, my characters often surprise me, make me giggle, cause me to question their actions, and more. Hahaha.....

I bet that sounds weird to most people, but not to fiction writers! Do you have a favorite character in your books?

At the moment, Mary is my favorite. She's smart, feisty, strong, but grows in amazing ways.

What are you working on now?

A Summer at Thousand Island House is coming out July 25 with Wild Heart Books. It's part of their  Gilded Age series. Here is a bit about it:

She came to work with the children, not fall in love.

Part-nanny, part entertainer, Addison Bell has always had an enduring love for children. So what better way to spend her creative energy than to spend the summer nannying at the renowned Thousand Island House on Staple's Island? As Addi thrives in her work, she attracts the attention of the recreation pavilion's manager, Liam Donovan, as well as the handsome Navy Officer Lt. Worthington, a lighthouse inspector, hotel patron, and single father of mischievous little Jimmy.
But when Jimmy goes missing, Addi finds both her job and her reputation in danger. How can she calm the churning waters of Liam, Lt. Worthington, and the President, clear her name, and avoid becoming the scorn of the Thousand Islands community?

Sounds like another great read! 
Thank you so much for visiting The Diamond Mine, Susan! It's been fun.
Now readers, here is a bit more about Susan, along with her social links.

Susan G Mathis is an international award-winning, multi-published author of stories set in the beautiful Thousand Islands, her childhood stomping ground in upstate NY. Susan has been published more than twenty-five times in full-length novels, novellas, and non-fiction books. She has ten in her fiction line including, The Fabric of Hope, Christmas Charity, Katelyn’s Choice, Devyn’s Dilemma, Peyton’s Promise, Sara’s Surprise, Reagan’s Reward, Colleen’s Confession, Rachel’s Reunion, and Mary’s Moment. Her book awards include two Illumination Book Awards, three American Fiction Awards, two Indie Excellence Book Awards, and four Literary Titan Book Awards. Reagan’s Reward is a Selah Awards finalist. Susan is also a published author of two premarital books, two children’s picture books, stories in a dozen compilations, and hundreds of published articles. Susan makes her home in Colorado Springs and enjoys traveling around the world but returns each summer to enjoy the Thousand Islands. 

 

Visit www.SusanGMathis.com/fiction for more.

Buy links: Amazon | Barnes&Nobles Walmart

Book trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rm3oK-79Rdo 

Social media links: Website |Author Central |  Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Blog | Goodreads

No comments: